Opinions Related To Medium Format

McQueen278

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
For those of you using medium format cameras, with film or digital backs, other than the Holga 120, what is your favorite camera and why? Also, what is everyones favorite digital back that is field friendly? (ie doesn't require being tethered to a computer)

I'm thinking about expanding my business and I'd really like to hear other people's experiences and opinions on cameras and backs. Thanks in advance to all that take the time to share their wisdom!

For me a Bronica SQA and SQAi is a very good MF camera for the following reasons:

-It is a SLR
-It shoots 6x6 negs/slides and I like the square format
-It is versatile (lot of accessories and lenses available)
-Cheap to buy (cheaper than a similar Hasselblad)
-The quality of the lenses is very good, at least the ones I use (50 and 80mm) and I read good things about the 40mm and 150mm.

The problem with the Bronica is that I don't think there are any readily available digital back for them. I guess if money is not so tight, a Hasselblad would be a better bet to go digital as I believe there are more choices for digital backs.

Though I have a number of decent medium format cameras very few have removable backs and the three that do (Rolleiflex SL 66SE SLRs) don't have digital backs. I also use a 120 back (a Sinar Zoom 2 - the one I would recommend) on large format, and I'm currently evaluating a Phase One P25+ for studio use with a Sinar P3 or Cambo Ultima 23.

At the moment film does it for me outside the studio, and I have no desire or need to go digital for medium format field work. I'll probably get a second-hand Hasselblad to do with the Phase One back, if I get it.

One of the things about medium format digital is that the sensors are small in comparison to 6x6, and they benefit from the use of lenses designed for the purpose. A lot depends on your budget and quality requirements.

What is your budget? What quality level are you looking for? Would movements be useful to you?

Best,
Helen

Well the budget is not set in stone. I'd love to get away with around 4k, but that is unlikely.

Has anyone one ever played with the Leaf AFi?

HA! Actually I was thinking only of the back. I understand there are some reasonable used ones around that range. The camera itself is a whole other deal.

I've done more investigating and I just don't think I'd pay for one of these with the work I'd be doing. I'd love one, but I just don't think its worth it. I'll stick with a 1Ds MkII or III. Thanks for the input though!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back