Opinions

SnappingShark

Always learning.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have my Leica but am looking into a second body/system for casual shooting and throwing into my truck for different types of shots.

Is the following worth $1400 in your opinion? I am willing to take a chance on using Canon over Nikon. I know the Mk 2 is old now (2008-2012). But wanted some thoughts.

Canon 5D Mk 2
Sigma 50mm 1.4
Tamron 28-75mm f2.8
Lowepro messenger bag
3 CF cards (32, 16, 4gb)
Wacom Intuos 4 wirelsss - medium

Ever need to go above ISO2000 and don't like a lot of noise?
6D does a lot better.

Also, I don't like that Tamron. :(
No idea about the USA pricing tho.

Hmm, is there poor quality above ISO 2000 on the 5d mk 2?
I read is is comparible to the Nikon D800 and even the 5Dmk 3

It's not poor, it's not great either, but the noise (at least to me) looks rather pleasant.

I don't know about the Nikon, but it's a LOT worse then 5d3, and the 6D (which is as
cheap as it gets re: FF) is better then 5d3 too, so..

There's a lot of test images everywhere, Flickr is a good source to search by camera.
I wouldn't mind owning one, but doing a few shots few years ago, i liked the 6D A LOT more.

1400$

Get a Nikon D610, better then the 5DII in every way.
Better AF
More DR
Better low light performance.
More resolution

If you are stuck on Canon I would get the 6D over the 5D II any day of the week.

OK cool opinions! I'm looking to go for a slightly older preowned model from craigslist as it would just be a for fun camera. IDK thought - weighing up options and opinions.
Appreciate the replies guys :)

I wouldn't waist your money I have Leica and Canon 5D and the 5D never gets used, it's just not the same after using a Leica it feels like junk compared

Yeah but the leica can't (at an affordable price) harness a zoom lens 200 - 300mm, or again at a price become a great macro camera (although I haven't tested out the 90mm macro yet)

OK cool opinions! I'm looking to go for a slightly older preowned model from craigslist as it would just be a for fun camera. IDK thought - weighing up options and opinions.
Appreciate the replies guys :)
Used the D610 is very reasonably priced especially considering it outclasses the 5DII in every way.
If you feel you want to spend your money on older less capable body just for the "Old Car Smell" then its your money.

Yeah but the leica can't (at an affordable price) harness a zoom lens 200 - 300mm, or again at a price become a great macro camera (although I haven't tested out the 90mm macro yet)
Get a Sony A7 and voigtlander close focus adapter and use all your Leica lenses and also buy the cheaper R lenses

If the Sigma is a 50/1.4 ART series, maybe...

If it's the BIG-ass, prior Sigma 50/1.4, and not the new, high-performance ART, not a good deal.

Not sure if you are familiar with the way the 5D-II's AF system performs, and of course, the 5D and 5D-II were $389-class cameras, and neither were ANYTHING at all like the 5D Mark III, which is an entirely different class of machine.

A Nikon D600 or D610 is a newer class of camera than a 5D or 5D-II, with better specs, better build too, and a flash and flash-commander, and a much better sensor.

The thing with both of the f/1.4 Sigmas models is the size and weight.

Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens Review

Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Review

The Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG is 809 grams...a Canon 50mm f/1./2-L is 592 grams. The other Sigma weighs in at 502 grams. These are LARGE lenses for a 50mm focal length lens. If yuo want a 50mm to be a small, inconspicuous, light, easy-to-carry lens, think again.

For street/casual lenses, these move the 50mm lens from invisible into the wide-angle zoom category as far as their "look" to people on the street or in the park or wherever. Just something to think about on a knockabout camera...you can have a small, 'invisible' 50mm lens, or a HUGE one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back