Opinons on a couple of photos

drlynn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am relatively new to photography, and would like some honest feedback on a couple of shots.

255Sunset-2-med.jpg

Sunset close to my home

255Double-Ex-Flower-med.jpg

AN in-focus/out-of-focus double exposure

255Just-Right_-med.jpg

My son and his cousin, being kids

Thanks in advance for all the advice.

did you use any filters or anything on that first one? i like the deep reddish orange you've got going on there.

and that second one is a neat effect. looks like the flower has an aura or something. sort of a dreamy feel in my opinion.

I like the first two pictures ... wow great but the third one is not as nice and that is my opinion ...... third one would have been better shot simply by taking it from a bit higher point so you don't see the sandals and other stuff at the background but that's just a small advice, i don't know the circumstances the pictures was taken..... anyway good shots man!!!! :lol:

Thanks to both of you for the feedback! To answer your questions:

1. No, no filter used on photo #1. That is untouched.
2. That effect on the flower is pretty easy, if your camera can do multiple exposures. Take the first shot normally, then intentionally put the lens out of focus for the second exposure, being careful to keep your framing the same.
3. I wish I had had a better angle to shoot from, but that shoot was spur-of-the-moment, and I didn't have time to really do anything but from poolside.

#1 - looks like you learned the trick of shooting sunsets for color :) my guess is that this was shot on auto meter as the photo you posted is indicative of that. you captured some great colors and saturation, as well as the silhouette. my only niggle is a minor crop.

crop2.jpg

this 'locks it down' a bit and forces focus on the center of the frame, otherwise; my eyes drift to the upper left.

nice shot.

#3 - ah yes, the environmental vs the portrait shot. well, as QP pointed out, it stands as a cluttered environmental photo. this means that we, as viewers, are to take in everything that we see to understand the environment and what is happening. it is very difficult to distinguish between a snapshot and an environmental photo as there is often a lot of background and foreground noise. a simple lil crop would give this a portrait feel with enough information to understand where it was shot. :

crop.jpg

#2 - my only comments on this are purely subjective. some folks like this type of shot, i don't; take what i say in that context.

the composition is well done; a flower in the center and a flower in the 1/3 urc. your dof looks ok. with this type of photo, you are asking the viewer to buy into the affect and reality. for me, it doesn't work. the flowers appear to be nicely saturated, but over exposed. the blur appears to try to extend the flower, not accentuate it. in all it is a very creative and well seen shot.

keep shooting and posting.

Most reactions

Back