Oppinions on my free photography magazine?

The 9K at the time was unique visitors not page hits.
Our main concern is our unique visitors.

The reason for the ads on the way to the community pages was just to test out adsense. Every little bit helps as our costs are about $250 a month for our server, 35 in other maintenance based stuff. $500 A week in advertising.

Now our Advertising will not always be so high we just want to get the word out to as many people as possible. We have found now that about 42% of all visitors come from word of mouth so we will start backing down the advertising a bit.

It was all done with cold calling.
Just explained who we were and what we were doing and what the future plans for the magazine were going to be. Our advertising rate in the first month was 70% less then print and is around 50% now.

Although we do offer discounts for newer sponsors.

As for magazine advertising not sure if you noticed but the way we have put it together is 1 ad after every article with no half page or box advertising in the articles. This always did bother me reading print magazines.

The income potential of this really makes it so it can't really be a hobby.
There is a lot of room for growth and if we develop the magazine in to a company we can offer a lot more to the readers.

Other then the missed spelling errors in the first issue we have had nothing but positive feed back and makes the word of mouth marketing pretty easy.

We are working our way to 10 articles or more per issue now and we should have enough people submitting great stories that we won't have to worry to much about content for a while.

Thanks for reading and your support!

Justin

PS. Hey Caveman didn't for get you. For articles we take anything in and then choose what will work the best for that issue and archive any others for later magazines. Our editors also have a big say depending on writing style. Exampe: If an article is to hard to edit due to content then it may not make it in the magazine.

We really want the communities stories.
The magazine was created for Photographers to help photographers.
Not another "Look what I did arn't I great" but a Look what I did, here is how I did it") I found there was to many kinda snobby magazines out there and it bugged me enough to start my own.

Very informative mag.

Great read.

The only thing I could negatively comment on is the quality of the images if a reader wanted to zoom in to see details.

Quality seems better in the downloadable pdf

Most reactions

New Topics

Back