Opportunity through adversity

Patrice

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
A friend out west had his house broken into while grocery shopping a few blocks away. Thieves, or a thief, entered through a basement window and stole a bicycle, a small fireproof document safe (empty) and a large camera storage case which was full. He lost a D100, a D200 and a D80, a 50mm 1.8, an 80-200 2.8D, a 16-35 f3.5-4.5, a mbd-200, batteries, chargers, cf cards and a couple of filters. All this equipment was purchased from the same local retailer when the gear was new, or nearly so, on the market. The insurance adjuster requested a description of the items and possibly some serial numbers. My friend simply went to the retailer who gladly reprinted all of his purchase receipts which also listed the serial numbers. His insurance adjusted looked at the total, paled, and signed off on his claim and issued a check jointly to him and the retailer.

Here is what the lucky sod went home with: D700, D200 (ex+ condition), Leica X1, 14-24 f2.8, 24-120 f4, 80-200 f2.8, 50 f1.8, 18-70 dx, some cf cards, extra batteries and a couple of cpl filters, and some camera bags to put it all in.

He was pretty upset when he discovered the break in but now he feels like christmas came early. (Maybe so did the retailer! Not a bad sale to one customer in one go.)

So, there's no way the value of the stuff that was ripped off equals the value of the things he replaced them with. Did the insurance pay off on the original list price on his items (if so, let me know the name of the insurance co.) or did he put some money towards the new gear?

...and that is why I have insurance on all of my gear.

Most reactions

Back