Optane Memory - Good or Bad????

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Almost every computer you see today is coming out with smaller ram and "Optane" memory. Looked at a nice little HP the other day that had 8gb ram and 16gb Optane memory. I think I have a basic understanding of how it works, so for the whiz kids out there my question is:
  • As far as speed, how would the 8gb and 16gb Optane, compare to an equivalent amount of ram only using a photo editing software?

optane memory is like putting a memory card in your computer and the computer keeps your most accessed files on it for quicker speeds, since SSD read/wirte MUCH faster than a traditional spinner drive.

you'll notice a difference if youre not on a SSD now, but if the system has a SSD it's kinda pointless.

newer HDD drivers are becoming hybrid in this manner, where they have a small SSD drive inside the case and do the same thing.

optane memory is like putting a memory card in your computer and the computer keeps your most accessed files on it for quicker speeds, since SSD read/wirte MUCH faster than a traditional spinner drive.

you'll notice a difference if youre not on a SSD now, but if the system has a SSD it's kinda pointless.

newer HDD drivers are becoming hybrid in this manner, where they have a small SSD drive inside the case and do the same thing.

Didn't mention it, but the example I posted above had both and SSD and a 1tb hard drive. However the initial question remains, apples to apples. Will ram + Optane perform equally on speed with straight ram???

it's really not the same thing as RAM so hard to compare a to a. Think of it more as a really smart drive that will automatically load all your most accessed files to it so those files load faster. the end.

this optane memory can most likely read/write at ~450 MB/sec, where a typical "gaming/photo" 7,200rpm HDD reads/writes ~200 MB/sec, and a typical base 5,200rpm HDD reads/writes ~80-100 MB/sec.

if those files are already on the SSD drive, there will be no difference, but if those files are on the regular 1TB drive, you may notice a difference with how fast some applications/games startup.

So to try to answer the question, the 8GB RAM + 16GB Optane system might load LR up a few seconds faster, and possibly even load the images faster, but exporting RAW to JPG or other functions will be identical in utter abysmally slow speeds to a 8GB RAM only system of same specs.

So to try to answer the question, the 8GB RAM + 16GB Optane system might load LR up a few seconds faster, and possibly even load the images faster, but exporting RAW to JPG or other functions will be identical in utter abysmally slow speeds to a 8GB RAM only system of same specs.

I think you just answered what I already suspected.

keep in mind i wasn't saying a 8GB RAM setup is bad per say, but that LR is.

If I had the option, I'd go for the optane loaded PC over the non.

I addressed this before, but Braineack explained it better.

Thanks @adamhiram just read it. While informative on SSD's it doesn't address much on Optane. Specifically how it compares on speed vs DDR4 ram. There doesn't seem to be much out on Optane.

@smoke665 The other week when I was looking for a New laptop, the saleswoman tried selling me the 17inch HP Envy that had 16Optane. She said look how fast this loads, she put in a usb stick and yes it was quick but not how much she made out I said politely NO thanks.

Thanks @adamhiram just read it. While informative on SSD's it doesn't address much on Optane. Specifically how it compares on speed vs DDR4 ram. There doesn't seem to be much out on Optane.
Because Optane is solving for a problem that no longer exists.
Optane was designed to be a cache system for HDD. With how fast SSD prices fell, Optane was overcome by the market. It is also why Optane has not been updated, and is still capped at a lower memory limit.

Personally I would like to see Intel update it, since it is built into the CPU, and controllers now to allow for any M.2 SSD to act as a cache for HDD.

Tim

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back