Optical slave issues with Nikon SB-900 speedlights.

dmac802

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm having an issue getting my Elinchrom BX500ri strobes to trigger the speedlights using the optical slave feature. I have 2 SB-900's and both are set with the SU-4 option to the "on" position. The sb-900's trigger each other when one is set to the "on" position and the other to the "remote" position. The sb-900 also can trigger the strobes via an optical slave feature in the strobes. What I can't do is get the stobes to trigger the speedlights. Any ideas?

Try this: Nikon CLS - SB-900 SU-4 Mode

The optical sensor is on the left side of the SB-900, by the battery door, so make sure that the main body is arranged so that this is positioned to receive the light from any other flash.

yes. The 2 sb-900's will work together...one triggered optically by the other one

Got me then unless the Elinchrom flash duration is to short for the SB 900's to detect.

I'm having an issue getting my Elinchrom BX500ri strobes to trigger the speedlights using the optical slave feature. I have 2 SB-900's and both are set with the SU-4 option to the "on" position. The sb-900's trigger each other when one is set to the "on" position and the other to the "remote" position. The sb-900 also can trigger the strobes via an optical slave feature in the strobes. What I can't do is get the stobes to trigger the speedlights. Any ideas?

Wow! That all sounds very correct, and thus mysterious. I have SB-800s instead of SB-900s, but SU-4 mode should be easy as pie (you will want its Manual setting instead of its Auto setting). SB-900 seems to complicate the menus a lot, since there is actually no Master/Remote relationship for SU-4. The way the SB-800 SU-4 works, if if sees a flash, it triggers. If hot shoe or PC triggers it, it triggers. SU-4 is always both master or slave. I think SB-900 simply already had that visible switch they had to deal with. :)

SU-4 is very sensitive, works at 120 feet or more Since it is triggered from full working power level of others, then in a normal living room, it will trigger anywhere, regardless of blocking obstacles.

I would double check that both actually were in SU-4 mode (custom menu, manual page C22). Sounds like it is not acting as if they are?

Wow! That all sounds very correct, and thus mysterious. I have SB-800s instead of SB-900s, but SU-4 mode should be easy as pie (you will want its Manual setting instead of its Auto setting). SB-900 seems to complicate the menus a lot, since there is actually no Master/Remote relationship for SU-4. The way the SB-800 SU-4 works, if if sees a flash, it triggers. If hot shoe or PC triggers it, it triggers. SU-4 is always both master or slave. I think SB-900 simply already had that visible switch they had to deal with. :)

SU-4 is very sensitive, works at 120 feet or more Since it is triggered from full working power level of others, then in a normal living room, it will trigger anywhere, regardless of blocking obstacles.

I would double check that both actually were in SU-4 mode (custom menu, manual page C22). Sounds like it is not acting as if they are?
Thanks Wayne. I did just check and they both are on SU-4.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back