Optimal sizes for picture types.

sparta1978

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Regardless of the camera choice i am interested in techniques to accomplish the following tasks and choose optimal picture size for my photos:

1) what size is recommended for this so photos are not grainy at all when printed on 8 1/2 by 11?

2) Photos of a microfilm. I'd have the camera on a tripod, have a remote shutter operator and move the next page on on microfilm machine with my other hand. What size is recommended for this kind of photography? What is the technical name for a remote shutter?

and some general questions:
3) what elements should i pay attention to when selecting a tripod to buy? right now im planning to use it for a week to do a special project... and that's it, then put it away.

4) is there a store/place online that has lenses/pictures taken from them as to see lens abilities in action?

David

1. 100 ppi or more. It really depends on image content and image quality. More ppi means better image quality. However there is usually little point in exceeding 360 ppi.
The pixel dimensions of the image and the ppi assigned determine print size.
For example:
1100 pixels / 100 ppi = 11 inches.
2200 px / 200 ppi = 11 inches

2. What ever size you want. Remote shutter release.

3. Tripod height without the center column elevated, load capacity, leg diameter and number of sections. For just a week - rent a tripod.
Good tripod legs start at about $150, not including the head.

4. Yes. In fact there are several. Think Flickr. Be mindful photographer skill has a lot to do with image quality.
A skillful photographer can make a high quality image with a so-so lens, and a unskilled photographer can make a crap image with a great lens.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back