www.nagelphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sophia, Orangutan, Brookfield Zoo (captive) -- from yesterday

p2222390499-4.jpg

Nikon D800, Nikon 300 2.8 VR, Nikon SB-900 flash

Thanks for looking...
Glenn

FANTASTIC image! The expression, pose, composition. All really well captured. I love Orangutans. Probably my favorite primate (even above other humans :D ) I remember reading a story about an Orangutan, I believe it was in a California zoo, that became an escape artist hiding a piece of wire along its gum line and using it to pick the gate lock at night and get out of its enclosure.

FANTASTIC image! The expression, pose, composition. All really well captured. I love Orangutans. Probably my favorite primate (even above other humans :D ) I remember reading a story about an Orangutan, I believe it was in a California zoo, that became an escape artist hiding a piece of wire along its gum line and using it to pick the gate lock at night and get out of its enclosure.
Thank you...I understand that orangutans are very smart. I visit them often at the zoo--and I feel sorry that they have to live in captivity.

Glenn

Great capture! Surely right up there with the best of the zoo photos I've seen on here.

Great capture! Surely right up there with the best of the zoo photos I've seen on here.
Thank you, Brian...

I practice my photography quite often at the Brookfield Zoo. I like it there because the zoo tends to use moats to separate the animals from the visitors rather than barriers such as fences or glass. As a result, there are no obstructions between me and the subjects.

Glenn

She's purdy, wonder if she is seeing anyone?

Thank you...I understand that orangutans are very smart. I visit them often at the zoo--and I feel sorry that they have to live in captivity.

Glenn
I'm always torn on the topic of captivity. One one hand, I don't like seeing these incredible animals kept out of their natural habitat. However, on the other hand, people seeing these creatures in person significantly helps to create feelings of a need for conservation in the wild, and can motivate people into action to help real conservation efforts. It's a tough issue and a bit of a double edged sword.

Awesome photo! A little vignette, dnb, sharpen, whatever you feel like to finalize it and print that as large as you can afford!

Was the flash on camera, or bracketed somehow or off camera?

Theres a new Planet of the Apes coming soon I believe.

I personally stopped going to the zoo many many years ago specifically because of the captivity of certain animals. But since recently getting into photography and mostly focusing on wildlife the zoo is really the only place I will be able to capture exotic animals. Can't afford to travel at this time. I am planning to go sometime in the spring. Its one of those decisions I have been going back and forth on.

I do hope I can capture some beauty shots like this one and the other one you posted with mother and baby.

Glenn
I'm always torn on the topic of captivity. One one hand, I don't like seeing these incredible animals kept out of their natural habitat. However, on the other hand, people seeing these creatures in person significantly helps to create feelings of a need for conservation in the wild, and can motivate people into action to help real conservation efforts. It's a tough issue and a bit of a double edged sword.
I agree. The way I see it is that a few orangutan make a sacrifice to live in captivity (and hopefully well cared for) to help accomplish the goal of conservation.

Glenn

Awesome photo! A little vignette, dnb, sharpen, whatever you feel like to finalize it and print that as large as you can afford!

Was the flash on camera, or bracketed somehow or off camera?

Theres a new Planet of the Apes coming soon I believe.
Thanks! I placed the flash on a bracket above the camera and used a Better Beamer to throw the light further as the orangutan are quite a distance from the lens.

Glenn

I personally stopped going to the zoo many many years ago specifically because of the captivity of certain animals. But since recently getting into photography and mostly focusing on wildlife the zoo is really the only place I will be able to capture exotic animals. Can't afford to travel at this time. I am planning to go sometime in the spring. Its one of those decisions I have been going back and forth on.

I do hope I can capture some beauty shots like this one and the other one you posted with mother and baby.
Thank you...I've been shooting at the Brookfield Zoo for years...it's a wonderful place for photography and is filled with interesting subjects. Of course, I would prefer to see these animals in the wild, but that's not happening anytime soon!

Glenn

Most reactions

Back