Orchid Madness

dylanstraub

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I spent quite a bit of time at Longwood Gardens (my favorite spot) yesterday. Every year at this time they have a huge orchid event which seems to get bigger every year. They have one room in their huge conservatory dedicated specifically to orchids but this year they were all over the place. Unfortunately there were troops of school kids running around and I couldn't use my tripod. Here's a few shots I'm proud of. Any constructive comments would be appreciated. Thanks for looking.

$5533229205_d5a2370958_z.jpg

$5533229197_fb6fc82a73_z.jpg

$5533229187_e0dcf5ceeb_z.jpg

$5533229191_96eee5dc5a_z.jpg

$5533229175_4ac55a73c1_m.jpg

Ok so the last one isn't an orchid but I really like how it came out so I thought I'd include it.

Last edited:
Self serving bump. I posted these earlier today and I'm surprised that no one commented on them. Even if you have something bad to say just let it all out.

I am a noob so my opinion isn't worth a hill of beans but I simply love # 2. It is inspiring. I also like # 4 because it is a complexity of nature. As for the shot, It seems a bit washed out. But again, I am a noob and am probably wrong about that.

Hi there,

I love the colors and think the flowers are very pretty but.... lol.. ;) I think there is some work on composition needed.. Thanks for sharing.

I am an orchid geek, I actually own flower #2 ' Ascocenda Princess Mikasa Blue' :)

The flowers are beautiful. My advice would be to work on composition. I think, generally, perfectly centered subjects make for a less interesting photo.
If you have access to this place I would go back and shoot and concentrate on mixing up the composition a little

I went last year to see the orchids. I always find them difficult to capture. I'll go during the spring and catch all the tulips....=)

Thanks to everyone for constructive c+c. I do appreciate it. Number 4 does look a bit washed out on this monitor but on my home computer it looks a bit better. I think I also could have done a better job of controling the light as well. As for the comp, I tend to crop out a lot of the picture when I shoot flowers. Some of that is due to too much going on in the background. I have an annual membership at Longwood Gardens and go back frequently so I'll keep the composition in mind next time I go.
I went last year to see the orchids. I always find them difficult to capture
Yeah that's why I titled the thread Orchid madness. I rarely can get a good shot with everything in focus.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back