Organizing my photos

textbook

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have lots of photos from the last seven years and i am not sure how to organize them. I have tried to put them in chronological order, is that the best way? I wrote on the the back of many of them in pencil, which I heard causes less damage. I put them in a pocket slip type album. Are the photos better protected in the sealed albums from long term exposure to the air though?

Also, hts of photos of me and herself? Should i create two albums, one with me and her and another covering the same period without her? That way I dont have to show heow do you store your negatives, or digital discs. IS it worth it? Do you put them in the album them selves?

Last question is I have just split up with my long term girlfriend, what is the best way to deal with the photos. I ahve so many of me and her. But maybe it isnt a good idea to show future possible girlfriends those photos, should I create two albums of both seven year periods?

chronological order is VERY VERY hard.
all my pictures are film so I've made a list with film number (when they develop them they usually put little stickers on the film and the envelope), frame number and a brief description.
I store the negatives in a fire safe box.
I started numbering my pictures at 00001.
I recently found page protector type things for negatives. I may make a book for them all one day.

As for album quality.. acid free and anything scrapbooking/archival quality should keep them save.

Hope this helps

I used to file all, negs and pics in acid free sleeves, pics were archiveed by date, + roll #, soft pencil. negswere in acid free neg sleeves, and cross ref
all were placed in 3 ring binders and put on shelf, after shelf, after shelf after shelf..yea for digital. no just kiddin, but you do get a lot of binders happenin.

can someone post pictures of theirs? i am developing a lot of film and i'm just not sure how to properly organize and store the photos/negatives. i am not a fan of using a traditional photo album...

Since the thread is now over 10 years old there are far fewer people still shooting film.

You would have done better starting a new thread in the
Film Discussion and Q & A forum.
Maybe a moderator will see this and move your post for you, because you can't do that.

Back in the film days I had one of these.
A set of these.
Lots of these.
And a $#!T load of these.

All done alphabetically.

This cracked me up! Tbh that is what popped into my head.. I am going to put my pictures on a USB stick and save the negatives for now... eehhh

That's the way it was done. Simple, efficient and usable. I still have all my negatives that way tucked away in a nice dry cool corner.

Would you mind taking a look at my photos? I haven't gotten any feedback yet . I'm a complete beginner and I'm teaching myself everything..

Post some photos and TPF members will usually look at them and offer C&C .I'd suggest posting the pics to a brand-new thread in the appropriate sub-forum.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back