Organizing software

JIP

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
I am sure this hs been asked a million times but I am search lazy. What in anyones opinon is the best software for organizing your images on your computer. Currently I am just shooting for myself as due to an injuy I have not been able to shoot any weddings for couple of years. I would also like a simple program for grouping my images to burn on a DVD.

I use aperture, you can organise your images, back them up to a different media and it will tell you were it is saved.

I set Photoshop up as the default editing program so when i edit a photograph and save it, it creates a new image in aperture rather than saving over the original.

What features are you looking for in an 'organizing software'? Do you want to tag your images and be able to quickly search them out? Do you want fast viewing etc...or just organization?

I don't use a specific software for organization...but I do have a file structure. Personal photos get uploading into a folder named for the date. Then I have sub folders for files converted from RAW, files for working on, files for print and files for web.
Professional images are kept separate from personal images and in folders with names and dates...but the rest is similar.

I don't tag my images or anything like that...so I don't have a good system for finding an image if I don't know when it was taken...but it hasn't been much of a problem so far.

To find images, I usually use Irfanview. It's a free program is very light on system resources. It can even view RAW files (with the right plug-in). I've also used Google's Picasa, which does allow tagging etc and is great for quick searching.

Most reactions

Back