Other ways to practice my photography skills?

Keep in mind that photography is more than 'point and click'. It's about composition...how to get a 'feeling' into the picture rather than simply capturing a moment in time (nothing wrong with that, though). That's why I suggested early/late day shots. Used effectively, the long shadows can create a strong mood to the picture. Take the time to look at pictures posted online here as well as in other forums/web sites. Do more than simply look at them. Think about each one. What looks good? What looks better? Why do you like/dislike a picture? Now go out and get some shots!

Don't forget post processing, too. I spend considerably more time in post than taking pictures. My 'first pass' is just to eliminate the missed-focus, over/under exposed, duplicative, boring (sometimes, in the excitement of the moment, I click rather than compose), and other pictures that don't have some 'WOW' to them. Then I start editing, cropping, etc. I still have a long, long way to go before I feel comfortable in Lightroom, much less Photoshop. I can do the basics, but there's so much more to learn.

get into commercial photography, perhaps.

I say you go to someplace you have NEVER been. A place you just happen upon, and start shooting whatever it is you find interesting. Maybe pick a place out of a phonebook (does anyone use these anymore? lol) that you have never visited...and even stop along the way, and take pictures.

I'm just getting back into the swing of photography, and for me, the rut I find myself in...is taking things that are in my comfort zone, such as my cats, my kids, the areas around where I live. People I know.

What makes photos so unique to me, is that if a photographer can capture an element of surprise, that you can sense he/she even had, when snapping the pic. That to me is...art.

Try that? If you do, you will have to share your gallery with us. :mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back