Ouch!

Christie Photo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.christiephoto.com
I'm planning to upgrade my camera this year, but I wasn't going to do it this week. Now my client is pushing me to do it NOW. So, I have to buy a Canon D5 today or tomorrow. I would even consider a used one if in perfect operationg order.

Does anyone have any thoughts beyond eBay?

Thanks!

Pete

How about renting one, if you are not in a rush to buy?
Add the rental fee to the bill.

danalec99 said:
How about renting one, if you are not in a rush to buy?
Add the rental fee to the bill.

Well.... it's a good thought. I'm not nuts about renting. I can't know what kind of abuse the gear was subjected to by previous renters.

I'll look into though.

Thanks!
Pete

I think if you are entering into a rental agreement, part of that agreement is that the equipment is in good working order when you receive it.

Does he need the images super fast? It probably would have been cheaper just to shoot MF or something until next month if he could stand the processing wait. But I suppose that was probably out of the question. Anyway, enjoy the new camera...sorry you had to buy it so soon.

Congrats!! :)

MaxBloom said:
Does he need the images super fast?

It's not so much that they need the images so quickly, but I have to shoot really soon. I did my first job with these people last year. They're builders. They had me shoot the "main" views on 4x5 chrome. Since that adds to their cost, they asked me for larger captures this year. I did tell them when I initially called on them that I would upgrade if they gave me a fair amount of work. They guaranteed me 10 projects for the year.

So.... it pays for the camera, but I'll be working for free this season.

Thanks for your thoughts. It really helps to bounce this off of someone else.

Pete

Well at least it will be paying for the equipment. Other than the initial investment out of pocket, you will get it back.

Congrats?

Mostly Happy? It there something that is not as you would have liked?

I've been pondering the 5D once my business is well established...but I'll probably wait for the next model.

Big Mike said:
Mostly Happy? It there something that is not as you would have liked?

Oh... I just don't like having to pay for it. I wasn't quite ready to buy. VERY nice camera. Looks like it will be a seamless transition for me from the 10D, or D10, or whatever it is I have.

Canon does have a $300 rebate right now, so that took a bit of the bite away. Still a big chunk of change for me.

Oh well.

Most reactions

Back