Outdoor Flashing

Trevor Harris

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I've done some more experimenting today... I'm not totally experienced with flashes outside sine I've only got my flash at Christmas. I read guide online on outdoor flashing and I tried to put it into practice in my backyard, with semi-productive results.

So, the guide said to go into shutter priority - set the shutter speed to your flash sync speed at your desired ISO (100 in my case). Take a meter and remember the aperture. Then go into manuel and set the shutter to the flash sync speed, and the aperture to the aforementioned aperture. I guess all this messing around was to get the fastest shutter speed available and having 0EV... To get back a DoF while using flash, you'd use a ND filter - easy enough.

This wasn't my problem... as you can see in photo 1, the flash is not there. I couldn't "overpower" the sun. It was at my back and I couldn't see much of a result. The flash was off camera right, so I should have seen a distinct light on the left of my face. I then when into the shadow (photo 2) and this is exactly what I was looking for.

Anyway, this is just a new guy playing with his flash... Just looking for some general comments if you guys have had experience with this thing - anything you could ad at all would be appreciated.

photo 1:
5628928719_0fcff5bd4a_z.jpg

photo 2:
5628927463_b6b5919639_z.jpg

In photo 1, the shadows cast against the boards of the house are from the flash, yes?

Most reactions

Back