Outdoor/Indoor Fashion photoshoot

cnick975

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have googled this numerous times and have yet to find anything that really sells me on buying it lol. I am simply looking for any lighting kit that is of an affordable price that will provide me with decent light outdoors and indoors and preferably portable but I know that tends to become expensive. The clothing line that I will be shooting for wants photo's that are traditional (white background etc.) and photo's like this... http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/filepicker/xtADXMhTVaFXuUlaluBg_Young_and_Reckless.jpg Please someone shoot me in the right direction... My budget for now is $300-$400. Thanks in advance.

This is about the minimum that you would need, but with bigger umbrellas:

Flashpoint 320M Portable Pack, Portrait Wedding Monolight Kit, with Two 320 Monolights, Portable Battery Packs, 9.5'Stands, Umbrellas, Snoot and Carrying Case

As far as bigger umbrellas I would recommend 2 of these - Impact 60" Convertible Umbrella

For a commercial shoot like this, I would rent what I don't have but need, and add the rental charges to my creative fee as a line item charge to the client.

If you don't already have lighting gear you will need to take some time before the shoot to learn to use whatever lighting gear you buy.

This may help give you an idea of how much a commercial shoot can cost a business - http://www.digitalphotopro.com/business/case-study-producing-a-successful-estimate.html

Outside in daylight hot shoe flash units would be hard pressed, power output wise, to do the job.
But should you decide to go that way:
Impact Digital Flash Umbrella Mount Kit
Get the 2 60" umbrellas linked to above.
Use 2 of these with their wide angle lens insert - Vivitar 285HV Flash for SLR Cameras (Black)
and have plenty of NiMH batteries handy - Medion MD7425 AA NiMH Rechargeable GP Battery - 2pk (2500mAh)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Do you have the skill and experience to use the lighting kit if you do buy or rent it? There's a lot more to lighting a shot like that then just tossing up a couple of lights on stands and pointing them at the subject(s).

There's a pretty nice setup for ~$500 at adorama IIRC. Ask Darell, he's linked it a few times. Looks like a great setup for the money.

That's essentially the link I posted, but includes the battery packs. Adorama provides most of the camera gear Amazon.com sells and ships.

Flashpoint is Adorama's house brand.

This is about the minimum that you would need, but with bigger umbrellas:

Flashpoint 320M Portable Pack, Portrait Wedding Monolight Kit, with Two 320 Monolights, Portable Battery Packs, 9.5'Stands, Umbrellas, Snoot and Carrying Case

As far as bigger umbrellas I would recommend 2 of these - Impact 60" Convertible Umbrella

For a commercial shoot like this, I would rent what I don't have but need, and add the rental charges to my creative fee as a line item charge to the client.

If you don't already have lighting gear you will need to take some time before the shoot to learn to use whatever lighting gear you buy.

This may help give you an idea of how much a commercial shoot can cost a business - Case Study: Producing A Successful Estimate | DigitalPhotoPro.com

Outside in daylight hot shoe flash units would be hard pressed, power output wise, to do the job.
But should you decide to go that way:
Impact Digital Flash Umbrella Mount Kit
Get the 2 60" umbrellas linked to above.
Use 2 of these with their wide angle lens insert - Vivitar 285HV Flash for SLR Cameras (Black)
and have plenty of NiMH batteries handy - Medion MD7425 AA NiMH Rechargeable GP Battery - 2pk (2500mAh)

This is perfect brother thank you! I will invest in this set up for the time being and I can grow off of this one. Also I wanted to ask your opinion on using "ring lights"??

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I've never liked the quality of the light or the catch lights ring lights produce myself.

Most reactions

Back