Outdoor photos....

nkmaurer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I know....I need to shoot without flash! I am actually borrowing a meter this week to mess around with and get an idea on what I need to buy. But would love other comments!

0559bh7.jpg

0619vs2.jpg

1753spotnamewalletsbg8.jpg

2014vl3.jpg

2053en6.jpg

It was raining on the last one...... we were both under umbrellas!

For Direct flash, these are good, they're balanced with the ambient, which is the key, and they fill in the shadows which is what it's intended to do. I think you did good, is off camera flash better? yes, but at least you didn't botch this by overexposing the flash exposure and blocking out the sun.

Flash will bring out the eyes more. If you can manage to get catchlights in your portraits, your photos will be soo much more better. Although trying to achieve them and doing them correctly is another whole subject.

Actually, I always like to use flash when shooting people outside. The key is finding a balance between the flash and the ambient light. For most people, the ideal result would be that it's really hard to tell that flash was used...except for the catch lights.

Also, selective color shots of kids like that...really creep me out. When you take the color away from their skin...they don't look alive.

Any tips on getting eyes to pop without flash?? Do you have to use a reflector?

Wouldn't shooting kids pretty much be hoping there are standing at the right place with there face facing a certain way? Or at least trying to get them to do that?

Also, without flash won't most pictures have raccoon eyes?

Any tips on getting eyes to pop without flash?? Do you have to use a reflector?

Wouldn't shooting kids pretty much be hoping there are standing at the right place with there face facing a certain way? Or at least trying to get them to do that?

Also, without flash won't most pictures have raccoon eyes?

Dodge them and do a contrast adjustment.

first two shots are great...nice balanced flash...good work on that part....i always use flash outdoors on family group shots in the summer at weddings...because, even in the shade, we are working at non ideal times of day and that bit of well balanced flash really makes everything pop....i try not to use flash on closeup shots at all....use a reflector when you can, face people toward the light, while they are in open shade and you will have nice eyes!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back