Outdoor Portraits. C&C if you please

RxForB3

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took a trip snowshoeing with my son. I'm definitely more interested in landscape photos (of which I got no good ones today, really), but would love some advice on the pictures I took of my son. Thanks!

What up? by RxForB3, on Flickr

0.01 sec (1/100)
f/6.3
18 mm

Exposure
Aperture
Focal Length
ISO Speed

Nah, really? by RxForB3, on Flickr

0.005 sec (1/200)
f/9.0
55 mm

Exposure
Aperture
Focal Length
ISO Speed

Who me? by RxForB3, on Flickr

1/4000 sec
f/2.0
50 mm

Exposure
Aperture
Focal Length
ISO Speed

Drippy Droppy by RxForB3, on Flickr

0.002 sec (1/640)
f/5.6
55 mm

Exposure
Aperture
Focal Length
ISO Speed

Although difficult to see in the smaller images, in the full size photos, you can see the light snow that was falling in the third one (though just barely).

Thanks in advance!

Huh, the cut and paste EXIF info didn't work as well as I'd have liked, though I think it's obvious what the numbers are. The last is of course the ISO.

Hm...looking at them in comparison with each other, I agree. I don't think they're terribly underexposed, but yes, a bit dark...

As a curiousity, I assume most of you use a desktop for photo editing and what not? I'm using a laptop and the angle of the screen really makes a difference. In music, there are studio monitor speakers. Is there an equivalent in the realm of photography viewing?

An external monitor is highly recommended when using a laptop! Makes a huge difference.

Keep in mind that your camera will see all that white (snow) and underexpose it (turn it to 18% gray). You can compensate by overxposing 1 to 2 stops.

Get an IPS monitor. They're only $999-10,000

#3 is adorable! On my end, I add +1 to the saturation in my 'D5100; you may want to consider a pinch more saturation,but, it may be a personal style thing. John

Get an IPS monitor. They're only $999-10,000

Not true. I have an IPS monitor and it was only $300. It had great reviews and has been working beautifully.

Thanks for the comments so far. As far as learning purposes go, what could I have done differently with #4. From my perspective, it's underexposed and of course not great compositionally/subject wise, but what else could have made it better?

1 & 2 - the landscape orientation doesn't work for me. In 1, perhaps next time going into portrait orientation and crouching down to his level. This will eliminate that bare patch on the ground but then you're contending with the tree behind him growing out of his head. Instead, if you look at his right side of the face there is more light coming from that direction. Moving him towards that direction (so it's at your back) will give a better exposure and since it's not a harsh light coming in, a nice overall even light. The first thing I always do is look what's behind the subject before bringing the camera up for shooting.

3- best shot of the group. I like the landscape orientation on this one but perhaps move him a little to his left. I think the dead space would work well in this situation.

Happy shooting!

#3 is your best sooc shot. The overall lighting is good, clean and crisp focus. I would crop closer to eliminate some of the background and eliminate that blue marker (clone it maybe), Maybe trim off the right side some and leave the left alone.
#2 is your next best but is underexposed, just brighten the exposure some. I would crop off the left side some and leave that beautiful mountain in the shot on the right.
#1 lighten, and crop closer. I'm not fond of the bg in this shot. His expression is great in all the shots.
#4 Not a great composition and I think we've all had those. Brighten, sharpen, crop down to center dripping ice crystals. The big black blob by the tree trunk kinda kills the shot.
I tried once to edit on a laptop, it only took once.
Great Kid! Keep shooting. :thumbup:

Thanks for the comments so far. As far as learning purposes go, what could I have done differently with #4. From my perspective, it's underexposed and of course not great compositionally/subject wise, but what else could have made it better?

Put it in the cut pile and not posted it.

Some things just aren't meant to be amazing photos. I would be like me posting up photos from a fashion shoot and ending with an under exposed photo of a box on the ground.

Tee, thank you very much for your comments. I agree on all accounts. In my defense, number 1 was a picture taken at the request of my son :) He actually wanted a picture of that bare spot, but I do agree and thanks for the suggestions on lighting!

VTF, thanks for your comments on #4 in particular.

Village Idiot, I understand your point, but for now it was just a beginning (this is a beginner's forum, after all). It was a bit of experimentation that I hope to learn from, and VTF has given me some insight into what to do different next time. I agree with your analogy, but let's assume that you had never photographed a box before and were interested in getting some hints on how to do so :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back