Outdoor Portraits

Dillard

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Had an opportunity to shoot a little outdoor portrait today and wanted some feedback. I kicked myself for clipping the sleeve in the second one, but hey, you live and you learn :lol:

C&C per req:

1. Nice lighting here, but I think a reflector to bring a little catchlight into her eye would have made it even better. Railroad tracks make great (albeit cliche'd) leading lines, however in this case, they do too good a job, and take the viewer's eye right past the subject and to the back of the image.

2. A little loss of detail in the shirt, BUT nice catchlights and a great smile. A little more subject-to-background separation would not have gone amiss.

Overall, nice, solid shots.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Thanks!

Overall it was a fun day, with a lot of learning on my part. I have very little experience in portrait, especially with lighting and such.

They are okay. Get a reflector like tirediron suggested.

In 1 shoot from lower or higher, you would have had a more consistent background. Either way the exposure on her face needs to be brighter, let the background go. Try not to crop through the bust, go higher or lower.

2 is kind of an awkward crop, not as good as 1.
If you clip something and it bothers you go ahead and take a bigger crop....like you meant to do it.

Most reactions

Back