Over processed? Trying a new style.

chiefpackman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Don't really know what I was going for with these but I like where it ended up. I like the feel of it. I'm just not sure if the seem "over processed" to the point it takes away from the shots. What do you guys think? Taken in Busan S.Korea, #1 ISO 400 75mm F/5.6 1/1000 #2 ISO 400 55mm F/13 1/125.

They are not too bad, but the first one looks like you have a dirty lens or sensor. I would want to show the viewer the enhanced version of what you truly saw.

I like 1 the best, but that's a weird shutter speed and as a result you've quite a short DOF. Normally landscapes are shot at f8 to f16 and at 1/1000 @ 5.6 you've. Easily enough room to stop down a bit more.

The split toning in 2 is a bit too aggressive for my taste and it looks like you have some halos around the lighthouse and trees left over from blending the exposure

I like the composition in both shots though

Ya I should have gone down a couple stops. I'm still learning. It was just a little experimenting. I'll play around with them some more. I appreciate the feedback!

They are not too bad, but the first one looks like you have a dirty lens or sensor. I would want to show the viewer the enhanced version of what you truly saw.

Was the first thing I said to myself too, were they birds ?

I like 1 the best, but that's a weird shutter speed and as a result you've quite a short DOF. Normally landscapes are shot at f8 to f16 and at 1/1000 @ 5.6 you've. Easily enough room to stop down a bit more.

The split toning in 2 is a bit too aggressive for my taste and it looks like you have some halos around the lighthouse and trees left over from blending the exposure

I like the composition in both shots though

110 % agree.

I hope you don't mind I edited your pics to put circles around a few spots that I want to talk about. Unless it's in your original file and it's from the spray of the waves crashing or something, you have halos in those two spots. Halos often happen when you are aggressively editing an image. Apart from that I don't think the first one is overprocessed at all. I also agree with weepete's comment that a smaller aperture would have been better so that you could have had a wider depth of field and gotten everything in focus.
In the second one the foreground looks like it has been brightened up too much and it has more of a halo than in the first one. I like the clouds and the background though, and I see why you were trying not to have that part overexposed. It is a tricky thing to deal with when you're either going to overexpose the sky or underexpose the foreground. You can do things like use a graduated ND filter, take multiple shots with different exposures and combine them as a composite or HDR, or learn how you can edit the shot that you have a little more seamlessly.

$number1.jpg$number2.jpg

Most reactions

Back