overcast days and a polarizer

alexanderhip

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So i know on overcast days and when shooting color film, the colors of your subject become more saturated, and the light adds as a natural diffusser. What sort of effects can i expect when using a polarizer filter on a overcast day?

...interesting question

Can't say i've actually tried it - maybe someone will be along soon who has and can provide the definitive answer

However, from my knowledge of how polarisers work with light waves, the nett result will be a loss of between 1 - 2 f-stops of exposure without a discernible difference in colour result ... but i stand to be corrected

Using B&W film, you might expect a slight increase in contrast. With this medium, polarisers have similar affect to a red filter

Your comment regarding overcast days (diffused light) increasing colour saturation leaves me slightly confused:

Colour saturation, or the intensity of a subject's colour, is relative to the volume/amount of light it reflects. Usually, to increase colour saturation on overcast days, overexposing the frame (adding more light) will achieve that affect

Thanks for your question - gives me something to test & play with

:)

e_

You really don't need it on such days unless you are shooting through glass and want to eliminate reflections.

it was overcast here today and i took them both off(UV and circular polarizer). We shall see the answer to your question in a couple o' days!

md

Hi, thanks for the replies. Well the reason why i asked the question was because yesterday it started out as an overcast day, but after the clouds passed it became sunny. Shooting with the polarizer and the sun to my side, the blue sky and clouds had a very dramatic look to it. I guess on an overcast day its better to go out and shoot, and find out for yourself. Really that is the only way to do things anyway. Also the thing about colors becoming more saturated was something i read off a site. I dont think opening up a stop would make that difference, but if you careful not to include the sky, colors would stand out more, rather then becoming saturated. Or maybe theres a filter out there that will take care of that for you.

Sorry for the long post.

alexanderhip said:
the thing about colors becoming more saturated was something i read off a site..
hmmm, okay

alexandership said:
I dont think opening up a stop would make that difference
You might like to try it out¹

alexandership said:
if you careful not to include the sky, colors would stand out more, rather then becoming saturated
A common mistake beginners make when shooting landscapes is to meter through the lens and include the sky - or too much of it - and wonder why they have lost shadow detail and the vibrant (saturated) colours¹

Reason is they've "underexposed" the shot - their meter fooled by the sky

alexandership said:
maybe theres a filter out there that will take care of that for you
Don't know, not one i'm aware of, maybe there is - but simply "overexposing" the shot will achieve this at no cost and without degrading the image with more glass between subject and film

HTH!

:)

e_

¹NOTE: presumption is made we're discussing colour negative film - with transparency (slide) the reverse would be true

Most reactions

Back