Overlapping focal lengths

i've seen 'em used for around $500...

Do you mean the push-pull zoom model? B&H has the twist zoom model with a less-than-desirable condition of "7" and they want $680 for it. For one with a condition of "9", it's $840. I'm not looking to spend nearly that much.

Do you mean the push-pull zoom model? B&H has the twist zoom model with a less-than-desirable condition of "7" and they want $680 for it. For one with a condition of "9", it's $840. I'm not looking to spend nearly that much.

Push and pull ones are in that price range. I've seen them less than 500. Check KEH out. The two ring is more and the cheapest I've seen the afs was for about $ 1,050.

Just because I don't think anyone else has pointed it out - even though there is some overlap in focal length, in the relevant range, 70-135, your current lens is probably an f/4.5-f/5 lens, so you're gaining roughly 2 stops of additional light at those focal lengths, plus of course the additional DOF options this will open up to you. That alone is a reason to consider the lens.

This thread is interesting. It brings up a number of issues. A top-quality, fast-focusing, sharp, flare-free 50-135mm f/2.8 lens with ultrasonic motor focusing would be...a wonderful thing...but this Tokina doesn't actually meet ALL of the criteria that would make this an amazing lens...in fact it has some pretty obvious weaknesses. MOST lenses in fact, will have at least one or two weaknesses, and a number of strengths. Depending on what one wants to shoot, and how important the various imaging metrics are, this lens could be a good deal, or a bad deal. As we move forward into higher- and higher-MP count cameras, I think it starts to become wiser to buy better-grade lenses that can be migrated forward, and which will allow the user to CROP images. So...right now, today, for "sports" and "people"...a 50mm and the new 85/1.8 AF-S G seems like the best $400-$450 option with the most upside for the future.

...as far as overlap goes,is it a bad thing?I've always been of the impression that a lens is not at its optimum at the extremes of its focal length.So,that being said,is a little overlap redundant?

Well, decision made. I bought a MINT++ condition used Nikon 85mm f/1.8D for $350 on eBay. Totally free of any marks whatsoever, and comes with everything in the retail box just like I pulled it off the shelf myself. Couldn't even tell it was used unless the seller said so. It's even one of the "Made in Japan" versions too (they've been built in Thailand since 2010). It'll be here next week, just in time for both the fashion show and portrait shoot I've got coming up and should pair well with the 17-55 I'm renting. Thanks all for the input. I always appreciate your opinions. :D

in the relevant range, 70-135, your current lens is probably an f/4.5-f/5 lens

Good guess. You were close. The Tamron's max apertures are...

70-85mm: f/4
85-115mm: f/4.2
115-145mm: f/4.5
145-160mm: f/4.8
160-185mm: f/5
185-230mm: f/5.3
230-300mm: f/5.6

So...right now, today, for "sports" and "people"...a 50mm and the new 85/1.8 AF-S G seems like the best $400-$450 option with the most upside for the future.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back