Oversized binders for negatives?

earthmanbuck

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just spent a weekend putting 9.5 years of negatives into plastic protector sheets, and now I need a binder for them. The sheets I have are really basic ones by PrintFile, but they're 6 frames wide, which means the sheets are slightly too wide for a regular binder (they're about 10" W x 11" H). I assumed it would be a relatively easy thing to track down, but so far no luck. Staples didn't have anything like that in stock, but said their website would—it didn't. I ordered what was supposed to be a 1.5" thick, extra wide binder from Amazon, and instead received a 0.5", standard width binder. I returned it and have a reorder in the works that I hope will do the trick, but I'm not positive as the dimensions weren't listed, other than"extra wide".

So—anyone else use the 6-frames wide protector sheets, and if so where do you keep them?

Hmm, weird that I missed those (and all the other binders) when I specifically searched B&H. Must have been a glitch at the time.

Do you also use sheets that hold six frames per strip? If so, is it pretty tight? The dimensions of this one say it's good for sheets 9.8" x 11.75"...mine are 10" x 11", and a couple of the reviews also note it can lead to slight curling if you're using the six frame sheets.

I have binder for a3 prints. Ryman’s stock portrait or landscape

Not sure.
My neg sleeves hold 5 negs 7 times and fit a normal size binder. I bought large size binders at Costco.
Those square neg holders are Hugely Expensive in my opinion.
Maybe start looking for alternatives......standard size "Moving Boxes" with a few dividers would work.
If you want binders, it might be easier to transfer your negs to 5x7 Print-File sleeves and then you would be able to use normal binders.
good luck with whatever you choose

I ended up going with these ones after all. My local photo place had a couple in stock, and the dimensions listed on the package are larger than the ones B&H gives—for anyone else who happens to be wondering, these do fit the 35mm sheets that give you 7 strips of 6 frames. It's possible that when the binder closes the page pushes up against the edge and curls it very slightly, but when it's open there's plenty of room to work with.

I used to buy 3 ring binders for negatives and transparencies from a firm in Rochester NY. These were oversized and did the job. Interestingly the company was located down the street from Kodak.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Most reactions

Back