OXFORD OCTOBER 19th

or nynfortoo if you don't mind horses, alternatively, get a train the night before and get in the Youth Hostel

Heh, I would if I could, but I'm in a bit of bother myself with transport now. I shattered two bones in my arm and my elbow last week, so riding down is out of the question now :(

You're from Manchester - steal a car! ;)

Plasticspanner might be able to help - or nynfortoo if you don't mind horses, alternatively, get a train the night before and get in the Youth Hostel

ahahhahaha
ill check out train times and see if the last train is do-able :)

Ouch-ouch-ouch! :(
That doesn't sound good AT ALL! What happened?

Managed to meet a tractor horizontally spanning the entire road after a blind bend on the way home from work. Looked for an exit, hit the breaks, but fishtailed in the wet and hit the trailer head on (on my bike).

I got off very lucky. Thanks for your concern :hugs:

sure looks good, I'm still talking to two friends in London, if they lend me a couch for saturday night I might try to stay in london and, if ferny doesn't mind, go with him to oxford for the sunday, as I'd like to see London for a bit too if I'm going 2 days...

I need to double check a couple of things still before I book any flights though, but so far it all looks good :)

Only just seen this. Here's my reply to Andy on chat.

Harold_the_Duck Andy - Oxford

Harold_the_Duck I don't know if I'm going ebcause the RBRR, I might have no money after or the car might be dead

Harold_the_Duck although I have two one might break before and the other might break on the event

Harold_the_Duck but if I'm going and Ockie is on the way (he'll be flying to Luton?) then I'll give him a lift

Harold_the_Duck but I won't know until....

Harold_the_Duck 6th October

Harold_the_Duck oh, and I'd also need somewhere to park!

As it is, I plan on going and the offer of a lift (dependant on where I'd be picking you up from and if I'm driving and I can't decide that until I know where I'm driving to - it might be cheaper/easier to use public transport) is there but I can't make any plans until after the RBRR.

Where is the planned meeting point? What's parking like? Would it be better and possible for me to park safely near Tony's house (if the family is ok with that) and get a bus/train to the meeting point?

Jeez nynfortoo - thats bad, hope you heal soon!

Ferny, best off parking at mine and getting the bus into town. If you do have car trouble, National Express run from Luton airport to Oxford, take a couple of hours.

Any chance you can PM me your address? I'll do a route plan to see if it's worth driving. No chance if I have to drive through the middle of Oxford.

nynfortoo - ouch! But, is the bike ok?

nynfortoo - ouch! But, is the bike ok?

Pretty much, yeah. The clocks are cracked but repairable, the headlight is smashed, as is the mudguard. Because of the ground clearance of the trailer, I took the brunt of the impact myself.

Silly boy! :p

Right, got Tone's postcode and the route looks easy and should only take an hour and cost £10 each way (without any detours). So I'll be driving if I go. I won't be touching London as it'll double the journey.

I've just had a look and the YHA IS the cheapest option (and the cleanest).
Pretty close to town - 15min walk, but there are convenience stores & a kebab van quite close to it.:)

ok, great, thanks for confirming that!
I'm waiting for a reply from 2 mates that live in London, as I'd prefer to do London on Saturday, and either go to Oxford at the end of the afternoon or Sunday morning...

Anyhow, still a lot of time left, I'll confirm as soon as I have the flight ticket ;)

***Edit***
I can more less confirm that I'll be there as I just talked with one of the 2 I know who live in London and I'll be staying one night there, now I just need to decide if I'm going on friday evening to London or saturday morning... will check tickets again tomorrow and perhaps even buy them already... the sooner the cheaper? (75€ it will cost me - Málaga to Gatwick and return flight, taxes included!)

Last edited:
so are we all crashing at Lil Loui's sunday night after the BBQ? :lol:

***Edit***
I can more less confirm that I'll be there as I just talked with one of the 2 I know who live in London and I'll be staying one night there, now I just need to decide if I'm going on friday evening to London or saturday morning... will check tickets again tomorrow and perhaps even buy them already... the sooner the cheaper? (75€ it will cost me - Málaga to Gatwick and return flight, taxes included!)

Flippin eck, if thats the price, sod Oxford - I'm off to Malaga for the weekend! :mrgreen:

Thinking of your onward travel from London, buses to Oxford are frequent from Victoria and Marble Arch and trains are via Paddington. If you are going back to Gatwick from Oxford, there is a bus every hour at peak times (I think)

Oxford Tube - London Buses

Oxford Bus Co. - London & Airport Buses

Most reactions

Back