P/N 55 processing and archiving questions

christopher walrath

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have read and saved the tech sheets for Polaroid P/N 55. I am shooting 4x5 sheets in an Aletta that erie was kind enough to forward to me in lieu of further remuneration. I just received my first lens (140mm ernemann doppel f/11) from eBay before the weekend. Wanna get some things straight before I proceed.

1. Tech sheet states that the print most be coated in acrylics. I did not get the tubes of acrylic with the film as it was slightly outdated (I am financially challenged). Can I just spray some Krylon acrylic clear over the print sparingly? I honestly am not so concerned about the prints as the negs but I don't want to simply discard them either.

2. Tech sheet states to treat the negative in sodium sulfite before clearing. Is there a simple place to get something that will do the same thing that won't set me back too much? What else have you all used?

3. Tech sheet states not to use commercial fixers as they might damage the emulsion. I have Kodafix. Will that honestly suffice?

Once I iron these details out, it's off to LF photography for me. WOOHOO!!!!!!!

Chris,

It's almost impossible to get a decent print and a decent neg with 55, so if you expose for the neg the print is unlikely to be a good one. The Polaroid print coating is supposed to be doing some neutralization of any remaining reagents, but it also provides physical protection to the otherwise fragile surface. I'm sure that an acrylic spray could work just as well in most cases.

Sodium sulphite is easy and cheap enough to obtain, and that is what I have usually used. You can also use KHCA or PermaWash. Fixing isn't necessary, but Polaroid recommend the use of a hardening fixer simply to improve the durability of the negative. It's rather fragile. I've never bothered with the hardener.

I used to use only water for my negatives when I started using 55 out in the field, and the negatives have survived almost 40 years, with careful handling. I did get the Polaroid bucket, though. That is quite a useful device for safely clearing the negs in the field without scratching.

Edit: I forgot to add that Kodafix is a hardening fixer.

Good luck,
Helen

Helen, you are a plethora of knowledge and experience! Thank you for being so informative!:hail::hail:

Here are some other options that St Ansel gives in his book on Polaroid:

Hardener
Water - 500 mL
Acetic acid, 28% - 250 mL
Potassium alum - 16 g
Water to 1 L

Use the hardener immediately after the sodium sulphite clearing solution, then wash after hardening.

Combined clearing/hardening solution
Potassium alum - 30 g
Sodium bisulphite - 60 g
Water to 1 L

Use this in place of the sodium sulphite clearing solution, then wash.

I haven't used either of these, but am simply passing them on.

Best,
Helen

Most reactions

New Topics

Back