P&S w/ Best macro capability...

TTUShooter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
...for say around $500?? My wife is an archaeologist and I believe her company is interested in purchasing a new camera for pretty much strictly photographing artifacts on a light table. many of these artifacts are small chunks of ceramics and the like. I recommended a basic DSLR (like a T3 and a basic macro lens like canon 50mm 2.8 macro) but I don't think they can get out much cheaper than $800 or so for that.

I also suggested basic DSLR and extension tubes w/ the kit lens, but you are still looking at about $600 or so.

They also want to consider P&S cameras which I admit I am not nearly as knowledgeable about.

So any recommendations on P$S w/ good macro capability??

A basic MFT camera + macro extension? That maybe around $300.

A Canon G15 will come in under that figure and is capable of taking good macro shots (at least my G11 is).

Did you look at basic DSLR body (no kit lens) + 50/1.8 (or maybe 40/2.8) + extension tubes? Might not be significantly less than the combo with kit lens, but worth a look, plus the 50/1.8 (either Canon or Nikon) with tubes will probably take sharper macro shots.

I took this photo with the Canon G11, is that good enough (as far as macro goes)?

External hotshoe flash bounce off the ceiling with some forwarding light from a white business card stick out a little but from the flash head,

6693051649_fa84b253cf_o.jpg

A Canon G15 will come in under that figure and is capable of taking good macro shots (at least my G11 is).

Did you look at basic DSLR body (no kit lens) + 50/1.8 (or maybe 40/2.8) + extension tubes? Might not be significantly less than the combo with kit lens, but worth a look, plus the 50/1.8 (either Canon or Nikon) with tubes will probably take sharper macro shots.
I believe the G15 can go as close as 1cm from item but I am not 100% sure
In any case macro shots with my G15 is a blast.

Another photos taken with Canon G11 with Macro mode.

100% crop

9417969669_09113094e5_b.jpg

9420766330_84c3178c88_b.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back