Paint on Canvas - New PP (for me!)

I don't like the PP to be honest. I guess my problem with it is that it's never gonna look like an actual canvas painting, so instead it just looks like and over-processed photo.

I don't like the PP to be honest. I guess my problem with it is that it's never gonna look like an actual canvas painting, so instead it just looks like and over-processed photo.

That's ok...you are entitled to dislike it :D

I have thus far had responses both negative and positive, so again, it's completely subjective.

Thanks

I wonder what the goal of the PP is? I mean, some people like to get their photos printed on canvas for the texture, but I'm not sure I want missed lines through key areas like eyes and other facial features. I remember in school my teacher talking about "art marks". The texture is interesting, but a painter wouldn't construct a painting this way, so it becomes more about the marks and less about the image. Just my take.

The goal of the "painting on canvas" PP for me is that I saw it done elsewhere, and thought it would be good to try. I liked the result, and that has nothing to do with wanting it on canvas or anything like that. The same could be said for selective colour, for IR, for sepia toning, or any other PP that people regularly do to their pictures. I try it to see if I like the effect. It seems you think that a photographer should just be a photographer and not venture into other areas of "art"?

I also like the Cross-processing effect, although it's not a fashion picture from the 70's...perhaps the subject doesn't fit the traditional ways.
I don't have to stick to just taking a photo and not exploring other artistic avenues.

Don't get me wrong, I don't consider myself anything like an artist, or a photographer, just yet. But I like what I am doing, and I am trying new things. I didn't think I was doing a painting, either, so the fact that a painter wouldn't do it this way is moot. I am not a painter.

You don't need to like it, of course, and I invite critique.

Thanks very much for yours. :thumbup:

The goal of the "painting on canvas" PP for me is that I saw it done elsewhere, and thought it would be good to try. I liked the result, and that has nothing to do with wanting it on canvas or anything like that. The same could be said for selective colour, for IR, for sepia toning, or any other PP that people regularly do to their pictures. I try it to see if I like the effect. It seems you think that a photographer should just be a photographer and not venture into other areas of "art"?

I also like the Cross-processing effect, although it's not a fashion picture from the 70's...perhaps the subject doesn't fit the traditional ways.
I don't have to stick to just taking a photo and not exploring other artistic avenues.

Don't get me wrong, I don't consider myself anything like an artist, or a photographer, just yet. But I like what I am doing, and I am trying new things. I didn't think I was doing a painting, either, so the fact that a painter wouldn't do it this way is moot. I am not a painter.

Selective colour draws attention to important elements. Over-used and kitchy, imo.
Sepia toning creates an aged effect and is also warmer than straight black and white.

You asked what people thought in the OP, so I told you what I thought. No need to be defensive. To be accomplished there should be a reason you do something. I think that too often we try stuff without knowing when to apply it. Hey, I'm guilty of it myself. Think in terms of: I chose this lighting because... I used soft focus because... I have a shallow DOF because... I apply this PP because... What we do as photographers is to direct eye flow, generate interest and have an area of focus. Try to see where your PP fits in and have a goal for it. If you can't find a goal, then...

Selective colour draws attention to important elements. Over-used and kitchy, imo.
Sepia toning creates an aged effect and is also warmer than straight black and white.

You asked what people thought in the OP, so I told you what I thought. No need to be defensive. To be accomplished there should be a reason you do something. I think that too often we try stuff without knowing when to apply it. Hey, I'm guilty of it myself. Think in terms of: I chose this lighting because... I used soft focus because... I have a shallow DOF because... I apply this PP because... What we do as photographers is to direct eye flow, generate interest and have an area of focus. Try to see where your PP fits in and have a goal for it. If you can't find a goal, then...

Sorry, I wasn't being defensive. I was more suggesting that sometimes people do things "because it's there" and "because I want to see what happens". I, myself, think that I succeeded in creating something that I like, and that several others in other forums also like. That's enough of a reason to do it. I appreciate that it's not to everyones taste.

I gladly accept your critique, thank you, I DID ask for it. And thanks for the response to my last post...I do also need to have a goal in mind when I take photos, most times.

Regards

BTL,

This looks great! Personal maybe, but great. If you like the white lines it's fine by me. I like to see people express themselves artistically/creatively according to what they like.

Personally, I'd like to do something like this for all of my granddaughters.

Truly, there are NO RULES for painters or photographers, so who can say what it is we do? Have at it, try some more stuff.

BTL,

This looks great! Personal maybe, but great. If you like the white lines it's fine by me. I like to see people express themselves artistically/creatively according to what they like.

Personally, I'd like to do something like this for all of my granddaughters.

Truly, there are NO RULES for painters or photographers, so who can say what it is we do? Have at it, try some more stuff.

Thanks for that...this is exactly the reasoning behind doing it...to see what happens.
It wasn't that difficult - I followed some instructions in a magazine for this, from 2004, i think it was! As much to learn the techniques as anything else.

suggestion:
reduce the redness
desaturate, or maybe a sepia tone

crop right below the chin
bring more of the left hand side of photo if possible

Hi,
What do people think of this? I am interested in the technique and the PP, but you can critique the shot as well if you like. It was just an "off the cuff" shot of my daughter as she was messing around...

Dad's Club Ruby 4 cross canvas painting by Bend The Light, on Flickr

This reminds me of some of the box covers from the 60s. I like the artistic end of it. One of the best aspects of photography is to be able to express one's self.
Does every photograph have to be perfect? Does every photograph have to look like a photograph?

I would not do this myself, but that certainly does not mean I cannot enjoy it.

This reminds me of some of the box covers from the 60s. I like the artistic end of it. One of the best aspects of photography is to be able to express one's self.
Does every photograph have to be perfect? Does every photograph have to look like a photograph?

I would not do this myself, but that certainly does not mean I cannot enjoy it.

Thanks for that. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back