Painted Female or Male?

Flying Panda

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
jt-strachan.pixels.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I found out from my sister-in-law that the gender of these painted box turtles could be determined by the color of their eyes. The males have a brilliant red iris while the females don't. Looking at the close up image of this turtle, it is hard to tell! Any ideas?

Also, while looking closely at the first image, it appears that someone in times past had literally "painted" this turtle a bright yellow and blue. Evidence can be seen along the bottom and rear of the shell. Sadly, people don't realize that the chemical components in household paint can leach through a turtle's shell and be absorbed into their body causing the animal great harm. Fortunately, this turtle appeared healthy!

500_9456 (LRGCR)-F1500x844.jpg

500_9461 (Lum) (LRGCR)-F1200x844.jpg

JT

Well, the iris is red, but I don't know if I'd call it a brilliant red. Sad that it was painted.

Really nice shots, so many people don't appreciate or respect nature and all of its inhabitants. Turtles are one of those things we don't have around here, they really are cool looking.

Nice pics! I would say it's a safe assumption that painting them in the first place indicates they don't care for their well being and probably don't care what's in the paint. It's just sad. If they found an iPhone they would probably take good care of it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back