Painted/smooth look to a portrait subject?

Shodex

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This isn't a technical question, so forgive me if this is the wrong place, I'm new here. I'm going to be taking some B&W film shots this weekend. In the dark room I want to kind of paint the developer fluid onto the photo, to give a painting style effect to the image, without sacrificing the fact that it's a photo.

I'm trying to think of ways I could subtly manipulate the model herself to have a more smooth/painting like feel, if that makes sense. My ideas right now are mainly revolving around using her hair and arms to emulate brush strokes. Does anybody have any tricks to make the subject look less "real" without sacrificing quality? Keep in mind it's a female model and B&W film.

It's a hard question, 'cause I really have no idea what I'm asking. But I'll be sure scan the finished product and put it up either way.

Thanks in advance,
Shodex

P.S., Just thought I'd add these would be manipulations with lighting, and the model's pose. I don't want to do anything in the dark room besides brush the photo on to the paper.

Last edited:
If you want to see brush strokes, use a bristle brush and apply to the paper on the areas you want the effect after exposure. Use dry brush technique as in painting without too much developer for a defined brush stroke. Use a wad of cotton to apply the developer for a smoother effect so only the edges or some areas have the harsh brush strokes. You can also leave some areas undeveloped so it will remain white.

I know, that's what I planned to do. It's a weird question, I figured if anybody could help me the internet could. I want to make the subject feel "painted" (this is all film, I don't want some silly Photoshop effects). I need help thinking of props/tricks that give off a "paintbrush" feel.

My ideas at the moment are using her hair, and peacock feathers. I also plan to do it in a forest, pine tress would help to. Like I said, it's a strange question. I want to indirectly give off a paintbrush feel using lighting, props, and the subject. If that makes a lick of sense to anybody but me.

Another way would be to sandwich lens cleaning tissue with the negative during enlargement exposure to have texture.

Most reactions

Back