painting with light

juneau

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
im not sure if this is what its called so ill try and describe it. okay so basically you set your camera to the B setting and shine light on it while your in complete darkness.

im not sure if this is totally correct and ive never done it before but i want to try it so i was wondering if anyone has any pointers? im shooting black and white 400 speed film

also im wondering if anyone has any tips on the open flash technique?

By the way, welcome to TPF Juneau!

Unfortunately I just shoot with digital so I have no 'pointers' regarding film, though I will state that I probably owe even the slightest success to being able to check the LCD.

I did this last September, and the only pointers I can recall is if you are writing out words, practice in a mirror beforehand. When writing backwards and right to left, I made the mistake quite a few times of writing a single letter backwards, overlapping etc. Another error I ran into was not covering up the light completely and would end up with trailing 'blobs' of light. One last note, if you are using flash, I do believe I underexposed the flash by -2 and delayed it until the end of the exposure.
For me it was more luck of the draw then anything. I am certain others here with more experience will have more words of wisdom, but here is about the most successful shot I could grab.

f/22, 20seconds
47923154_66d3c90deb.jpg

Peanuts said:

Unfortunately I just shoot with digital so I have no 'pointers' regarding film, though I will state that I probably owe even the slightest success to being able to check the LCD.

I did this last September, and the only pointers I can recall is if you are writing out words, practice in a mirror beforehand. When writing backwards and right to left, I made the mistake quite a few times of writing a single letter backwards, overlapping etc. Another error I ran into was not covering up the light completely and would end up with trailing 'blobs' of light. One last note, if you are using flash, I do believe I underexposed the flash by -2 and delayed it until the end of the exposure.
For me it was more luck of the draw then anything. I am certain others here with more experience will have more words of wisdom, but here is about the most successful shot I could grab.

f/22, 20seconds
47923154_66d3c90deb.jpg

thanks! i really liked that picture did you use a flashlight?

Thanks.
For this shot I just used a flashlight. And one more 'tip' I remembered (as can be noted, I probably took 60 shots in total and managed only a few half decent. Though I will say, lots of fun) try to keep pointing the flashlight straight at the lens. As can be seen on the right edge of the "e", I didn't angle the flashlight.

Peanuts said:

f/22, 20seconds
47923154_66d3c90deb.jpg

Wow that is soooooo awesome! Is my camera (The Canon EOS 350D) capable of that? :scratch: :lovey:

ElectricHarmony said:
Wow that is soooooo awesome! Is my camera (The Canon EOS 350D) capable of that?

Well, maybe my 350D has a glitch but it was capable :lol:. This was taken on manual mode, so I do believe any camera that can take longer exposures can.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back