Palouse in Pink

Majeed Badizadegan

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Another image from my nearly week-long trek along Eastern Oregon and Eastern Washington. This is Palouse falls in some desert canyon area.

I had the tripod on the edge of a cliff (for those who've shot here, you know someone could easily give you a little nudge, that's all it would take, and you would be over the edge. And that would be all she wrote. So there's a pretty clear danger of falling, when you set your tripod up on the edge of a cliff anyway.

Palouse in Pink
by Majeed Badizadegan, on Flickr

This is fantastic, IMO. I really ought to browse the landscape gallery more.

That's beautiful..looks surreal.

WOW! Sometimes there just is no other word.

WOW! those colors are amazing!! :) Great work :)

I came here looking for some inspiration, and this delivers.

Any comments or tips you want to give would be appreciated.

I came here looking for some inspiration, and this delivers.

Any comments or tips you want to give would be appreciated.

There are so many places for general advice, including this forum. In fact, this forum is one of the best spots in the world to get advice. So instead of general advice, I'll share a bit more about the making of this particular image itself.

There was a group of photographers. A small group that was set up and ready to shoot sunset. The sun sets and lights the rim on the canyon walls. The orange color came from a spectacular sunset happening BEHIND me. That's right, to the west, the sky was EXPLODING, but to the east it was much more subdued. There was a lot of particulate matter in the air, in form of these thin clouds. Pretty much everywhere in the sky was blowing up, EXCEPT (facepalm) above the falls (where you see the pink clouds in this image).

I've shot enough landscape to know that light can still happen even after sun sets. More than half the photographers gave up and left the scene, which seemed like an awful waste of time to me. Why not wait it out and see what happens? They had already waited a few hours. But this brilliant pink that came into these clouds happened only for a minute or two, and when it did happen, there was much less light. Ambient orange from the fading brilliant sunset behind and pinks finally caught the clouds above the canyon. At this point, exposures with an ND grad were around 20" - 30" at base ISO. That's how the fall was captured smooth and the motion in the river was shown.

This was shot at f/11 and (not focus blended) but is incredibly sharp throughout. You could count pebbles on the other side of the falls. Web size doesn't do it justice!

Hope that helps.

Hearing what went into the photo is great help. To me it's more educational than talking in general terms. There was another thread discussing when to use a graduated ND and when to blend exposures. This would be a case for the graduated ND. Fleeting light and a long exposure. Thanks for sharing. I like that the color is more subdued above the falls. It makes the falls stand out more, imo and balances the warm colors on the right.

Patience, and an observant eye. Such a simple combo, yet few seem to be able to do it. Very powerful image - love the detail, the colours, the shapes. And it's good to know you don't have enemies, since you came back from the brink without testing your balance. :D

Hearing what went into the photo is great help. To me it's more educational than talking in general terms. There was another thread discussing when to use a graduated ND and when to blend exposures. This would be a case for the graduated ND. Fleeting light and a long exposure. Thanks for sharing. I like that the color is more subdued above the falls. It makes the falls stand out more, imo and balances the warm colors on the right.

Right, and a fairly straight horizon line for the grad.

Patience, and an observant eye. Such a simple combo, yet few seem to be able to do it. Very powerful image - love the detail, the colours, the shapes. And it's good to know you don't have enemies, since you came back from the brink without testing your balance. :D

So true!

I am always incredibly impressed with your photos Majeed, and this one is a winner. Wow.

Most reactions

Back