Panasonic FZ20 defect.

Torus34

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just got an FZ20. Checked out the external flash hot shoe function with my flash unit. No flash. The in-camera flash works correctly.

I don't know if this defect is a one-off or if more of these rigs have the same problem.

If you have one of these cameras still within warranty and haven't checked this function, you might wish to do so. Just make sure beforehand that your flash unit meets the trigger voltage requirements.

Incidentally, the lady at the Panasonic 800 customer service number was most courteous and helpful. She quickly set me up with a reference number and a list of authorized repair shops in my area.

I tried a Wein Safesync on my FZ30 to use a PC sync cord, and that didn't work. I thought my hot shoe was bad also...then I got just a normal adapter (no safe-sync) for a PC sync cord and that worked like a champ... I think it was something about the polarity on the safe-sync or something.... That same safe-sync worked on a Canon Rebel XT flawlessly.

My point is just that it may not be the hot shoe, but the flash unit you were using...

Thanks for the input. I'm using a simple adapter. Polarity is ASA standard. [Plug from flash unit to cord is polarized.] Resistance check across the contacts with a fast-acting ohmmeter set at 1ohm shows no contact during exposure. Settings within camera are in strict accordance with owner's manual.

A big apology to Panasonic!

The FZ-20 doesn't have a standard ASA socket so I used an ASA-to-hot shoe adapter. When I checked out the flash on one of my old 'tank' 35mm rigs, the flash didn't fire, either. Now, that just shouldn't happen.

Seems that I was being too gentle. As soon as I felt resistance in sliding the adapter onto the hot shoe, I stopped and assumed it was seated. Not so! A bit more push and it clicked into the correct position. Flash fired like Gangbusters.

Shifted the flash to the Panasonic, pushed, and all worked properly. I can now use my large bracketed flash on the digital rig. Wave 'Bye-bye,' Red Eye!

Again, apologies to Panasonic!

Most reactions

Back