Panning

BoblyBill

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have heard the phrase many times around here... Is it simply tracking an object in motion or is there more involved (other than making sure that the subject is in focus)?

That is basically it...you track (or pan) the camera to follow the movement of your subject. Depending on the shutter speed and movement of the subject...you can get great shots where the subject is sharp, but the background is blurry.

It takes practice and experimentation to get good...or that's what they say. The tip that I hear the most...is to keep panning the whole way across the scene...but snap the shot when the subject is in front of you...basically, have a smooth follow through.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
like mike, I've always heard smooth motions work best, much like shooting skeet.

Totally about the smooth motions, I always find it helps to visualize it a couple of times and practice the motion.

there are a few ways to create a 'pan': you can follow the subject with your camera (moving it) and that blurs the background (as described above).

But you can also ensure your camera has the same speed as the subject (i.e. by attaching it to it), this creates the same effect.

I'm told that the second method is called a 'cheating pan'.

pascal

Note that in skeet you need need to swing past the target in order to hit it. You don't want to do that with the camera. :)

Most reactions

Back