Panorama from inside my flat! (Warning, bit wide!)

Rob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ukphotographs.com
These things are worse than multi-me shots!! They're addictive, annoying and grrrrowl!

This is about the best I could come up with. Spot the mistakes!

Thanks for looking!

pano.jpg

Rob

I noticed that your monitor is larger than your tv. I liked my dell so much that I use it to watch tv over as well as for the computer.--ditto the curtain rail and ceiling.--Lenny

mannella said:
I noticed that your monitor is larger than your tv. I liked my dell so much that I use it to watch tv over as well as for the computer.--ditto the curtain rail and ceiling.--Lenny

It certainly is! I don't watch TV really, it's only there to play back the DVD's and to play Tiger Woods on!! :)

Rob

It was about eleven exposures with my 20D using a 28mm lens mounted with the camera vertical. There are a bunch of things to consider when doing a pano:

The exposure must remain constant, so take bracket reading first from several areas, and note them on a scrap of paper and pick the average and set exposure manually.

Depth of field must be maximum - in this case f28 or so I think.

Auto focus won't help, so focus in the same manner as a hyperfocal scene i.e. 1/3 of the way to the furthest object. It is damn difficult to focus an auto-focus lens manually under artificial lighting.

Auto WB will screw things up, set it manually to whatever.

The files will be LARGE, so dumb your camera down to minimum quality, or the pano can go over 1Gb and knacker your software out of memory.

Overlap should be about 1/5 of the image. Too little is bad, too much is bad.

Vertical camera plane is more difficult than horizontal.

Any defects in the image quality at the edges will be vastly magnified.

Don't bother trying this indoors - it's damn difficult and frustrating.

Photoshop is pretty good, but leave each of the scenes as a different layer. I gave up on PS and used panorama factory, which is better, but couldn't get rid of the errors around the window.

It is a nightmare not jogging the camera. Set the ISO to your camera's best value, say 100 which lengthens the exposure and makes the vibrations less.

Avoid having the TV on as it will come out crap looking.

Make sure there's something better on your monitor than I did. :)

Have patience.

Rob

Rob...nice furniture! Nice flat.

I noticed the window right away, but everyone else did as well :)

I also like the juxtaposition (SP) of the seemingly rotary telephone next to the flat-screen monitor :)

Good job! I really want to try one of these at the pub...but it's way too dark...then again, that could prove interesting with all the drunks blurred!!

jocose said:
Good job! I really want to try one of these at the pub...but it's way too dark...then again, that could prove interesting with all the drunks blurred!!

Me too, I will probably try it, but people damn well move!! :)

Rob

I see you managed to squeeze that new furniture in! cool little writing desk there beside yer comp. desk
Do you have one of those itsy-bitsy UK kitchens? maybe you could do a pano of that? Or a macro shot ;)
My pics on TPF must show up brilliantly on that flatscreen monitor ;) :D

good job on the pano tho rob...even with the warped wall. :thumbup:

JonK said:
I see you managed to squeeze that new furniture in! cool little writing desk there beside yer comp. desk
Do you have one of those itsy-bitsy UK kitchens? maybe you could do a pano of that? Or a macro shot ;)
My pics on TPF must show up brilliantly on that flatscreen monitor ;) :D

good job on the pano tho rob...even with the warped wall. :thumbup:

The living room is 30' x 15' which is big (for London). My kitchen is pretty big too actually for a flat, it's not one of those modern galley ones - my place was built in the '70s when asbestos and cheap concrete construction ruled - now they're pokey places made out of cinder block. It might not be up to your palatial US standards, but hey it does lil old me! :)

And yes, the big monitor helps me to see the mistakes in your pictures! :greenpbl:

Rob

Most reactions

New Topics

Back