Panoramic Printing...Quick questions

Craddosk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I have a print file measuring 8400 x 1998 pixels. Now, I would like to print this as big as possible, going with 240 PPI.
This would yield a print 35 inches long by 8.325 inches long.

What are your thoughts on being able to stretch this print up to 12 inches tall? Would it be possible through interpolation/upsizing of the print using CS4? My calculations yield that if it could be made 12 inches tall, it would be 50.4 inches long.

Thanks in advance.

How close to the final product do you plan on being when you look at it? Going from the original dimensions, you'd be at 166.5 ppi. If you're 3 or more feet (1+ meter for you non-'Mer'cans) from the print, I think you'll be okay. I realize that you'd probably interpolate to get it back to 240, but it's effectively the same issue - you'll see some blurring on the same scale that you would've seen the pixelation.

I'm looking at having it on the wall, so it wouldn't be that close for examination.

The print in question is:
Antarctic Panorama

Take a look at it. Yes, I do have the photographers permission for non-commercial reproduction purposes.

At 240ppi it would pass a relatively close inspection of someone with reasonable eyesight just beyond an arms length away.

The final image would be 166ppi and 1.3m wide. I have an image a little over 1.4m wide on my wall and I have never come or seen someone step within a meter of it when viewing it in it's entirety.

Resample it to 300ppi anyway for 2 reasons. Upsampled images are more pleasant to inspect close up than pixelated images. And there is an almost certainty that the lab which will print this for you will ask for the file with a resolution of 300ppi anyway (at least all our pro labs here do along with other restrictions like colour space etc).

I'm looking at having it on the wall, so it wouldn't be that close for examination.

Take a look at it. Yes, I do have the photographers permission for non-commercial reproduction purposes.

While you are in CS4 you might want to clean up the dust marks that were on his sensor. Look along the clouds, and in the sky, big dark blob in the upper left.

Here's a good page on print quality. Contrary to all the conventional parroting of 300dpi, or "what the lab will ask for"... you don't necessarily need that much.

help - Resolution and print quality- powered by SmugMug

Have you had a small test print made to see what the colors are going to look like? On screen is very different from on paper. The blues and the dark shadow areas in the mountains on the right, may be a surprise.

I'd hate to pay for a really nice, big panorama and find out the color correction wasn't exactly what I expected. Heck I hate to pay for an 8x10 without first printing a 4x6 to see what it's going to look like. :thumbup:

Beautiful shot, it will look great hanging on the wall.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back