Pantone Huey Color Issues?

shorty6049

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So finally bought a pantone huey. I set it up, and did everything the instructions told me to do, but when the calibration was done, i wasnt like WOW like everyone else seems to be... my calibrated settings seem to make anything white-gray look more like a very pale tan color... So if i view a black and white photo, it looks a little bit sepia toned instead. Anyone else have this problem or could offer a solution or anything?
thanks!

Sorry...I can't think of anything. Maybe is it possible that your monitor was set to something different than the software thought it was (color temp, for example).

The Hueys come free with the Fuji S5s. We have like 30 of them at my workplace and I took one home to try. I got similar results. I don't know if it was a problem with my system or what, but they just don't seem to work well. It's a shame, because they are very cool, and the fact that they adjust to room light is a nice feature.

i'm sure you dont have the same system as me because i'm not a pro or anything, but just out of curiosity , what system do you use?
i'm tryign to figure out if maybe its a problem with the huey itself of maybe the software working with my computer...

We all tried the Hueys at work, and I also tried it at home, and we found the results to be poor on all. At home I have a p4 2.8ghz running Windows XP pro.

ok, thanks, i'm thinking of maybe just returning it and paying the 15% restocking fee.... i gotta decide soon though. i was just surprised at that, because i have heard so many good reviews from people who said that they were so amazed at what a difference it made...

I have heard good things about the Huey, especially that it's cheap...but I've never used it. I have the Colorvision Spyder II.

i dont know if maybe my eyes are more picky or what... i had a friend verify that black and white images were coming out a little sepia though, so i dont THINK its just my eyes... maybe i need to get used to it?

If what you are seeing is anything like what I was seeing, then it's not your eyes. My monitor (which I have not had any color problems with) became a very dark yellow after using the Huey. I instantly removed it.

well i wouldnt consider it dark yellow... if someone who didnt see the before, looked at it, they might not be able to tell anything was calibrated, but when i switch to the uncalibrated profile, everything gets more contrasty and cooler

well i wouldnt consider it dark yellow... if someone who didnt see the before, looked at it, they might not be able to tell anything was calibrated, but when i switch to the uncalibrated profile, everything gets more contrasty and cooler
I went and bought a huey to try out and it seems to have the same effect on my monitor that yours does. The color pictures come out better but the B&W pictures I look at almost look sepia now. Did you ever resolve this issue or is this really what it looks like when its calibrated?

well, actually i ended up selling it on ebay a couple days later and i think i made all my money back becasue i got a discount when i originally bought it.. haha, what i do now, is just hope my phtos come out the way they look on the screen, and usually, yeah, they do.. haha

Yeah I was a little disapointed. I just found another review that stated they had the same "brownish" tint when they used it and they contacted Pantone about it and they said they were aware of the problem and then sent him a replacement that worked. I guess I'll contact them and see what they can do.

Most reactions

Back