paper for c41 b+w printing

Nate Klueter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is anyone else is familar with developing the c41 b+w rolls? They're on a brown colored film the same as color film instead of grey like the d-76 b+w and this affects the variable contrast paper making them come out very low contrast. The problem seems to persist no matter what contrast filters I use. Would using non-vc paper fix this or is the brown color going to affect this too?

i shoot ilford xp2 super 400 or whatever it is, im pretty sure thats c41 b+w and the film is purpleish, i find that it does tend to be a little bit higher contrast then the kodak which comes out brown is. maybe look into switching films? i also use ilford multigrade IV RC deluxe pearl paper and i like it alot.

you need to boost the contrast up past grade3 and yes contrast is an issue as the orange mask is an issue.

i have students who print c-41 negatives all the time and the times will increase as well as the contrast filter needed.

what developer and what ratio are you using for printing?

I think I use dektol at a 1:1 ratio which I think is the typical setup. I've never really experimented much with chemicals aside from trying tmax film developer once to see if it measured up to its hype.

you might also try LPD at 1:4, that is what we are using.

in fact someone just printed some new work on tues night from this combination. he needed to boost the contrast to grade 3.5 and the times are high, but the prints look very nice.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back