paper recomendations

fightheheathens

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
so, i have only used VC RC paper before and i was wondering what other papers are good. I usually like to print high contrast and generally dont like glossy papers. Im open to suggestions as long as you also include why you like the paper.

The best I've used is fibre based, Seagull oriental, grade 4, it dries like leather with a beautiful finish and needs washing for ages to remove the fix properly and has then to be bonded to mounting board for display.

Any special reason you don't care for glossy? One of the finest VC FB papers out there is Ilford MG IV. You say you like to print with high contrast, and this paper will give you beautiful rich blacks and has a nice white base. Prints well, tones well. You might give it a try on a small pack, just to see.

Keep in mind that your choice of paper can really enhance your printing style. Paper has speed, as film does, and different emulsions, as film does. Again, if you prefer high contrast, you'll note that, generally speaking, there is increased dmax with glossy papers as opposed to matte.

Oriental is still available, it is beautiful, very creamy. Has a beautiful tonal range. Use the grade 4 for high contrast, I use the grade 3 for all my stuff unless I want really high contrast. It does need alot of washing like most fiber based papers.

thanks for the suggestions, I'll deffinatly try some small packs of those papers to see what i like.

ladyphotog said:
Oriental is still available, it is beautiful, very creamy. Has a beautiful tonal range. Use the grade 4 for high contrast, I use the grade 3 for all my stuff unless I want really high contrast. It does need alot of washing like most fiber based papers.

How much does it cost?

What's good paper for a beginner?

sthvtsh said:
How much does it cost?

What's good paper for a beginner?

It runs about $30 for 25 sheets of 8x10.
What do you mean for a beginner? Have you ever used fiber paper? What sizes do you normally print?
Oriental also makes an RC paper and it is cheaper than the fiber paper. But nothing can compare with the fiber paper as far as the finished print. Take a look at B&H, they have all of it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back