PAPER TYPES / PROCESSING??!!

jemmy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all... am trying to work out where i should get my prints processed as i am starting a small portraiture 'business' (more for friends and family for starters!)... Are there certain places i should go to or ones to avoid?
#1.. Do you print your own pictures or have them printed elsewhere... and if so, where? Im in QLD australia:sexywink: ..
#2.. What type of paper do you use?
#3.. If you feel like sharing ( but i understand if you dont:blushing: ) what prices do you charge for prints?
#4.. What kind of mark-up do you put on your photographs for selling?
So, basically i was told that Fuji Crystal Archive paper is of an excellent quality and that it lasts really well? I previously have always had my photos developed at Rabbit Photo (where i know the girls well) and have always been happy with the results on the Fuji paper - my only problem here is that there is a little Rabbit Photo stamp on the back which doesn't exactly scream 'professional! Thought about covering it with a small sticker with my business name but thought the sticker might damage the photo? Anyone know of acid-free business stickers? or anything about stickers on the back of photos???... I have no idea where professional 'photographers' get theirs printed and if they get better results from somewhere else... Another bigger photographic store uses Kodak paper but i have heard not so good stories about this paper? Does anyone know anything about paper choice and processors??? I want to give my clients the best possible photographs and would like to be able to say "these prints will last for x amount of years" ... xx Eager to hear back soon so i can decide where to go!! :heart: thanks heaps

1. I print my own BW photos, for the most part (in addition to developing the film--I don't know whether you're digital or film). Color, I outsource to a local lab, which is run by a great guy named Ed. Unfortunately, I don't give Ed much business, because I mostly work BW. BW is pretty easy to work with, and you can get some great deals on equipment, now that everyone's going digital. The processing isn't hard, and the printing, although it can be frustrating to get it just right, is for me one of the most rewarding parts of photography. Of course, with color, it's most likely completely different. I know it costs more, and the printing is more intensive, and the processing controls are much tighter. I don't personally know anybody who processes their own color, although I believe a few members of this forum do.

2. I use what I have on hand--namely, Ilford RC MCIII glossy. It's probably outdated, but I got 250 sheets for free. Can't shake a stick at that. For fine prints, I plan to use a fiber-based matte or semi-matte paper, because the FB is nicer, and I like those two finishes.

3. In the few cases I've sold prints, I charge what the print cost me to make, plus letting them know they can donate to my film fund. I doubt that helps you much, though, since you seem to be looking for some extra income from your photography.

4. See #3

If you're satisfied with the product of your current processor, I'd say stick with them. You can politely ask them to not use the stamp on the prints you designate; I'm sure they'd be happy to oblige if you explain. On the other hand, since they're producing a good product for you, you might consider letting them leave the stamp, as it might help support them. As far as stickers go, I'd say avoid them. Instead, sign with an ordinary pencil, and perhaps provide a business card with your contact details. Pencils are are archivally safe, I believe. (That mentioned, I don't know how archivally safe that stamp is, and you might mention that to them).

As for the lifetime duration of the photographs, you'll probably have to find out what paper your printer is using, and what process, and research that from the manufacturer or other source.

Hope this helps!

Thanks heaps jamesd... i appreciate your detailed reply - and i stuffed up by calling it a stamp cause it is actually printed onto the back of the paper??!! Have just been looking up fuji crystal archive paper on the net hoping to somehow be able to source it directly and then thought maybe the girls could print them up for me, without the store name printed on the back. Thanks again and anyone elses thoughts wanted too!! x jemma

Most reactions

New Topics

Back