Paris Photo 2005

craig said:
Great link! Magnum keeps emailing me for some of my work. I keep giving them your name. Have they contacted you yet?
:shock: why would you give them my name for??!!... nope...not yet! goodness... that would be a dream!!! :)

Thanks Craig!!

Because your work the kind of stuff they are looking for!

As you know they never contacted me, but if they did... Anyway, If they did goodness would be my first reaction as well. I am fully enamored by that co. I think all photographers want to at least sell one photo to Magnum.

Have you ever tried to contact them? I think I had their address when I was a young photo student. In my infinite wisdom it never went further then that.

Ok, so I forgot how exclusive they are. This is from their web site.

"In each of the last 5 years, between 0 and 4 new nominees have been selected from among the many portfolios presented. After two years of Nominee membership, photographers then present another portfolio if they wish to apply for 'Associate Membership"...

craig said:
Because your work the kind of stuff they are looking for!
I'm humbled and honoured! :hugs:

Craig,
For me, magnum is the pinnacle!!
craig said:
'In each of the last 5 years, between 0 and 4 new nominees have been selected from among the many portfolios presented. After two years of Nominee membership, photographers then present another portfolio if they wish to apply for 'Associate Membership"...
yup, I had read that. When I contacted them last, I had passed the date for submitting the portlio. Plus, I need to have something that has to be related to social influence (I believe), which I do not have in my portflio, yet.

I got the feeling that you looked into it. I turned back when I read the excerpt that I posted. The social influence clause is another thing that I did not know about. I mean could they make it any harder? Again I say that in jest, because it is their photographers' scrutiny that makes the Magnum name.

On closer reflection we could consider a 2006 or 2007 submission. Clearly Magnum considers local flavor as much as world events. I like to think that they just view a lot of portfolios. As opposed to "this guy has worked with AP so let's see this one first".

I am trying to say that with some hard work a submission is not out of the question. The only problem is that the work has to be exceptional. I am not sure if I am there yet.

We need dreams right? Maybe a 2012 or 2014 submission? Even by then I do not think I will have any books published. None the less I have to say thanks to Magnum and the like for keeping us motivated!

This reminds of a quote along the lines of "at any time there are just many photographers trying to get into magnum as trying to get out" :D

Interesting article though, especially this
Anderson resigned from the VII cooperative and reportedly came up just short of enough votes to become a nominee last year,
I didn't know that VII had a photographer who resigned

Most reactions

Back