Past Date Film?

havoc

Jedi something or other
Reaction score
Does anyone here use "past date film"? I was cruising the Freestyle Photo site and noticed they have some pretty good deals on film. They are all past date specials, and i was just wondering realistially what problems people may have had with it. I understand that alot of products have expiration dates and such, some are for good reason, others it doesn't matter as much.

Also does keeping film in the frig/freezer really help? And if so would it help more for "past date" film?

Thanks
Steve

Pro films begin to go downhill faster than consumer films after their expiration date, but I figure Kodak and Fuji give themselves a bit of room. I think that the real expiration date is probably at least 6 months past the printed date; especially if it has been stored correctly. BW film lasts longer, or at least has less noticable aging effects, than color film.

Consumer films stay very close to peak performance long after the expiration date as long as they are stored correctly.

Refrigeration slows down film aging for consumer and pro films. Freezing effectively stops film aging. So buy up that recently expired film and freeze it. Thaw it when you need it, and it's good for a very long time.

Definately let it thaw from the freezer for a few hours before use. You don't want any moisture.

my photography teacher told me that the date on the film isn't that important as long as the film isn't put into extreme heat. And that freezing it stops the aging of the film

Freezing film scares me if not thaw property you’re going to get condensation, will that cause spotting on the film

I've used outdated film quite a few time and always had great results.

It is definitely worth experimenting with once in a while to save some money, I just wouldn't suggest using it on any once-in-a-lifetime situations :lol:

Wow, Great feedback.. Thanks for all the help guys (and girls) I think i may give it a shot.

i found a 100' roll of hp5 in my darkroom that was 13 months out of date. sat in room temperature all that time; i haven't a single problem. no clue how i misplaced it, but that's another story...

I have never, ever had a problem with condensation and freezing film, but if you are really worried about it then use zip-lock bags. Place a couple of rolls, or however much you think you'll be using at one time, into each zip-lock bag and freeze. Then just grab a bag and thaw. Condensation may form on the outside of the bag, but the film inside will be safe.

You can also use this technique to protect you camera from condensation when you are moving between extremes of heat and cold. When I'm outside shooting in the winter, my gear gets pretty cold. Before I get back into the warm car or house, I stick the camera into a big freezer bag, and let it warm up in the bag.

Film about 13 years old without referigeration isnt that good.
:shock:
the film was some b&w tri-x and pan-x film that wasnt referigerated.

The film was still good but it had a very thick fog on it. Prints from it were ok but lacked any contrast. Does anyone know what exactly did that?

Well there is some pic in the freezer that are about that old ill try and develope them sometime and tell you what happened :?

Does anyone think that they will still be good?

Most reactions

Back