Paul C Buff 86” Soft Silver PLM™ Umbrella Parabolic Speedring Question

PeK77

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm currently looking at purchasing a Parabolic PLM Umbrella from Paul C Buff to use with Paul C Buff Einsteins. In doing my research, many users recommend ta specific speedring to mount the PLM on the strobe. Apparently proper placement gives the full parabolic effect. Ironically, Paul C Buff only recommends to mount it using the umbrella mount and doesn't sell a speedring.

Can anybody shed light on the necessity of this speedring? Will it really make that big of a difference?

I can't comment on the speedring issue, but I would have to think that the manufacturer should know something about the best way to mount their product....

I have some non Buff generic modifiers that are designed to be used with speedrings that allow you to use them with different mounting methods. Buff modifiers are brand specific for their lights only, as such no speedrings is required. As to the umbrella, the standard reflectors and the lights have provisions for the shaft of the umbrella and has nothing to do with the face mounting of other modifiers. Unless your generic version has something besides a straight shaft, a speedrings would not be required.

I have some non Buff generic modifiers that are designed to be used with speedrings that allow you to use them with different mounting methods. Buff modifiers are brand specific for their lights only, as such no speedrings is required. As to the umbrella, the standard reflectors and the lights have provisions for the shaft of the umbrella and has nothing to do with the face mounting of other modifiers. Unless your generic version has something besides a straight shaft, a speedrings would not be required.

Thanks for the response. Have you found Buff modifiers to be as high quality as Wescott? I've used Wescott and really like their softboxes.

By virtue of the fact they don't require a speedring, they are much lighter. As to quality I've found everything from Buff to be good. Their prices aren't out of line, but the shipping costs can get a little much.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back