Paul

FuryofNature

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.furyofnaturephotography.com
I knoe this is almost perfectly centered, and that tends to be bad. I still seem to like it. I don't personally mind that that top is cut off.

I'm wondering about those things though. Is the centering taking away from this or adding to it? Also the white background, I made it that way by taking out every thing that was back there. Nothing was of importance to the subject. Is the white background too much?

PaulSmall.jpg

Thanks for looking!
_KA

What captures my attention is the expression on the face. Generally, the technical side of the photo is sound - exposure, focus etc.

I understand what you mean about the whole centred thing but I like the fact that it is centred. In some respects it's an unusual portrait and that "adds to it". The eyes in my opinion are the main focal point, which is what you want 99% of the time in a portrait.

nice one!

No problem. Personally I would select his face and neck with the lasso tool. I would then feather the selection. Maybe close to 25 in this case. Hide the selection and open levels. Look at the histogram and move the shadow and highlight sliders to it's tails. Then open the mid tones. I think the most important thing is too play around with the adjustments. And view at 100% before making the final adjustments.

the problem i was having was the edges of his face were blending into the background. And his shirt was becoming gray. Did you use only the same steps you told me? I guess I;m not that good with levels. I really like this version. Thanks so much.

Craig said just what I was going to....seeing more detail in his face makes this a much stronger portrait for me. I like the simple background and find his expression interesting!

I really like the image and as the others have said brightening the darker areas seems to give a better effect. The fact that the top is cut off does not bother me either, there is a reason for this, I learnt in one of my film related courses at uni that cutting the top of someones head out of the frame has very little effect on how we percieve the person as our mind recreates the missing bit quite easily, If the bottom were cut off however the mind copes less well and the image would look strange.

Most reactions

Back