Paying for Your Education in Photography

Well, as far as what I feel is doing it right, there's a progression that many are prone to skip parts of that effect their shots down the line. This skipping around can really muddy up the potential of a photographer. An example that immediately comes to mind is working with HDR before learning how to make a proper exposure. Another is ignoring and not practicing guidelines for what may be considered commonly acceptable composition simply because there are no rules. I see quite a few requests for C&C on advanced techniques where what I feel a better result could have been had if fundamentals had not been skipped over. Or, heavily processed photos that have absolutely no sense of compositional aestheic. Undisciplined. Of course everything is subjective and we want what we want. But I believe the internet has laid waste to potential. We skip around and pick brains rather than develop discipline and a solid grasp of fundamentals.

I understand what you're saying here now. A couple of nights ago I took alot of photos of a *****willow tree going to seed and was quite happy with alot of the shots. Showed them at work to a few people and got some serious C & C. Suggestions were made and I took more shots the next night. Again serious critique, so I thought I'd snip off a little branch and take some shots inside, bracket them with different F stops and stack them. I'm now so confused, I didn't learn anything and the *****willow tree is finished. The last step was a short cut taken, due to reading on the internet and I still don't know a thing about composition or what makes a good photo.

Back to reading basic books, continue with classes and maybe next year.

I am currently paying for my photography education (college) and it's the best decision I've ever made.

Excellent! are you in a BFA program? Tell us more.

Love & Bass

No it's a 2 year college diploma program but I am considering the possibility of doing a degree transfer afterwards to get my BFA. It's a very hands on, practical and business oriented photography program. I have learned so much in such a short time.

I'd only pay if there was a chance I would earn enough money to repay the fees and more...but if it's just a hobby, I'll do it on my own.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back