Payment methods

W.Y.Photo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What are your most commonly used methods of accepting payment?

I've been using paypal but I'm fairly unhappy with them taking a percentage of my money and taking 7-21 days to process payments. Anyone using anything faster or cheaper.. or both??

I rarely accept CC but I also use PayPal. I give clients a bit of a discount if they pay by checks or cash.

I use Square for CC; works very well, fee is reasonable (2.5% I think) and money is posted to my account within 48 hours (usually a lot less). I don`t know what PayPal`s fee is (I thought it was around 2.8%), but you`re really not going to get anything significantly cheaper unless you`re using one of the big credit-card services and processing transactions on a Wal-mart level.

aking 7-21 days to process payments.

so what you really mean is you dont like ebay?

as for fees:

paypal is 2.9% + $0.30 and everyone has it and works in conjunction with ebay.

google wallet is *gasp* 2.9% and no one has it

Square is 3.5% + $0.15 and requires a physical credit card in hand.

aking 7-21 days to process payments.

so what you really mean is you dont like ebay?

Yes. and waiting. waiting is the killer. lol

Thanks for the info though. Now I know which service I should use when; and that Google failed to take control of one corner of the web... At least for now.:topsy_turvy:

Last edited:
If you swipe the card, it`s 2.75%, if it`s manually entered, then it`s 3.5%+$0.15; you do NOT need the card in-hand to do a manually entered transaction. Take client`s card information over the telephone all the time.

Blame all the scammers selling on eBay, not paypal.

holding your payments is an eBay policy for "new" sellers, not paypal.

I sell on ebay all the time, my payments to pp are instant.

If you swipe the card, it`s 2.75%, if it`s manually entered, then it`s 3.5%+$0.15; you do NOT need the card in-hand to do a manually entered transaction. Take client`s card information over the telephone all the time.

ah cool. thanks.

I use square as well sometimes and paypal, but most of my sales are through my smugmug site

Blame all the scammers selling on eBay, not paypal.

holding your payments is an eBay policy for "new" sellers, not paypal.

I sell on ebay all the time, my payments to pp are instant.

Ahh, so I just have to get payed more then I won't need to wait as long?

That's reassuring as that's the main reason I am not too fond of paypal

Paypal, checks, and cash. I gave a cash discount, but VERY rarely got cash.

Err, is 7-21 days a business account thing? When I withdraw from Paypal it's usually in my account within a few hours.

they do it with sellers with less than 100 sales and/or 100% positive feedback. something like that.

once youre a proven reliable seller, they wont hold payments.

I accept credit cards with Square, and have had zero issues. I also accept cash, and checks, although if someone wants to pay via check, the check clears before anything is handed over to the client. Period...

My web site is all based on downloads payments using paypal. I invoice all my clients, most pay by cheque and some use direct wire deposits.

Most reactions

Back