PC Monitor Calibration

Rancor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How does one "calibrate" their monitor? I have both a 17" HD laptop, and a 22" HD LCD flat panel monitor that I use for viewing and PPing my images. How would I calibrate these and what exactly does calibrating do?

Click here for a plethora of information, and see the "Color Management" tutorials at Digital Photography Tutorials

There are different TFT-LCD display types, TN being the leasst expensive and most commonly used, PVA which is a bit better, and IPS which is desired for image editing.

Laptops are notoriously poor for editing images because most of them come with displays have very narrow accurate viewing angles (TN), the display angle is very variable, and they have to be recalibrated whenever they are used in a different location because the ambient light is different.

There are two procedures; calibrating and profiling.

Calibration sets your monitor (to the degree physically possible) to industry standards for white and contrast.

Profiling: The parenthetical clause above notes that your monitor may not be physically capable of perfect adjustment. It is then helpful to characterize the degree to which your monitor is not compliant and provide that info for example to Photoshop which may be able to accommodate at least in part.

Amazon.com: X-Rite Eye-One Display LT: Camera & Photo

Joe

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back