Penang Island: The Pearl of Orient

mylo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've just returned from the Clan Jetties of George Town, Penang. These traditional jetties in Penang Weld Quay are the settlement built by Chinese immmigrants who share common historical, geographical and lineage origin. Here are some pictures fresh from Penang Island aka The Pearl of The Orient:

FB_0220.jpg

Title:
"Shops in Chew Jetty"

About:
Chew Jetty is a favourite tourist spot in Penang, you can even find a souvenir shop in it, alongside with a grocery shop and a dessert cafe. The Chew Jetty in Weld Quay (Malay: Pengkalan Weld) is a traditional settlement of wooden houses built on silts and the name “Chew” is the surname (the first name) of the residences. Migrant’s families with this surname would live together in this area.

In this picture:
Some traditional houses converted into gifts shops. There is a narrow wooden walkways for tourist, cyclists and bikers alike.

FB_0188.jpg

Title:
"Clan Jetties in Penang Weld Quay"

About:
Most of Georgetown, Penang major tourist attractions are within walking distance. I've just arrived in Penang probably around 4 p.m. in the afternoon. Tired, hot and humid. Nonetheless, I walked all the way to the legendary Clan Jetties of Penang Island. I spent two hours exploring the jetties. The entire place....it looks like 'Pulau Ketam' (English: Crab Island).

In this picture:
The Clan Jetties. Did you notice? There's an uncle throwing a fishing net into the ocean. I was sitting on one of the wooden platforms.

FB_0223_B.jpg

Title
:
Make me beautiful

About:
These traditional jetties in Penang Weld Quay are the settlement built by Chinese immmigrants who share common historical, geographical and lineage origin. Today there are still six clan jetties along the waterfront. The most CREATIVE, VIBRANT and LARGEST waterfront jetty is undoubtedly the Chew Jetty with the Hokkien community. In this small community, I spotted a grocery shop, a souvenir shop and Shereen's hair saloon.

In this picture:
A woman gets her hair colored and trimmed at the jetty salon.

My Blog Post: A Malaysian Photo And Travel Blog: The Clan Jetties in Penang Weld Quay (Complete Guide)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back