Pentak k100

Taggi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
im looking to buy a pentak k100d ive done some research and read alot of coustumer reviwes
anybody know anything else i might need to know about this camera

Well, I've had one since the end of August. I purchased it with the 18-55mm kit lens and also have an old 50mm. I intend to purchase the 50-200mm before March.

If you have any questions I'd be pleased to help, but I don't have anything that just leaps out that I need to tell you.

Ask away!

could you post a few pictures you took with it ?

Sure! All of these were shot with the RAW format and edited (not much an any of them) in Adobe Lightroom Beta.

IMGP1813.jpg

IMGP1563.jpg

IMGP1399.jpg

IMGP1318.jpg

IMGP1284.jpg

*Sorry they are so small, I guess I should have picked a different size :)

Hmm... I am interested In buying this camera because of its price and the fact that I have 4 Pentax lenses that have been passed down to me.

So my question is: Can you post some Pros and cons you have had with your experience with the camera?

thanks for the pics they look really nice!
sadly i only have paintshop pro for editing

Taggi said:
thanks for the pics they look really nice!
sadly i only have paintshop pro for editing

www.gimp.org

it is very much like photoshop with one difference. well actually about 600 differences (it's free)

I am shooting with a pentax camera right now but everytime I see the K10D I drool. if you can hold out until you can afford a more expensive camera (I know it's hard to resist that itch to buy now) the K10D is IMO the best bang for the buck. Sealed body, image stabilization which can give you up to 4 stops extra to work with handheld and doubles as a dust removal system, 10MP, two RAW formats (pentax' format and adobes). it is a power house of a camera.

As for con's of shooting with the K100, that isn't what I shoot with but I have noticed that a big con shooting any pentax is lack of user support. Almost everyone on the forums shoots canon or nikon so if I have a question about a lense or a flash or something like that, there are very few people avaliable to help.

Well, I haven't used PSP lately but had it a few years ago and found it pretty capable. Also, Lightroom is currently in Beta stage and is free. The current build expires in February and I expect that is when they will release it.

On to the Pros and Cons:
PROS
- Nice handle and feel; it felt really comfortable in my hand compared to my school's Canon Digital Rebel
- it has a huge legacy of lenses
- bright viewfinder; also, the focus overlay thing isn't obstrusive
- Shake reduction!
- AA batteries (you can buy them anywhere)
- I like the placement of all th buttons and such on the body
- Auto WB is good as well as lots of presets and any easy to set custom bracket

CONS
- itsy bitsy buffer (3 RAW images)
- AA batteries (don't last as long as some proprietaries)
- battery door feels a bit flimsy
- AF is slow in lower light (and everyone hates when the flash lights up as the focus assist lamp)
- Auto WB can't handle tungsten very well but the preset does well and it isn't hard to set your own
- the menus are a little "deep" and some of the longer words are shortened oddly

Also, some little tips:
- read the manual
- don't use the "Bright" setting (you have to in AUTO) as it leaves less room for editing things like saturation
- go through the custom settings and set them to your liking so you don't have to later
- switch to manual focus when using a manual focus lens, in auto focus you have to keep focus the shutter won't fire, this can be kind of anoying

Any more questions, just shoot.

Edit: About the K10D. It looks like an absolutely amazing camera, but it just seems like a little much for me right now. The K100D is good enough for me, maybe there is a K10D down the road. Also, the relase date has already been pushed back I believe because of all the pre-orders that a I doubt Pentax suspected, not sure, but maybe it'll be hard to get one at release?

Most reactions

Back