Pentax 645 Single Frame Shoot Mode Problem

MarkF48

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Bought a Pentax 645 with a 75mm f/2.8 lens from a Craigslist seller that had battery leakage in the grip, so I couldn't try it out before buying. However I did get the kit for $30 (he was asking $60) after he found he couldn't get the battery holder out of the grip due to the battery leakage. Funny that he stated in the CL ad the camera worked fine :grumpy:.

Anyhow, I got the grip and battery holder cleaned up, new AA batteries in the holder, and put a fresh lithium button cell in and the camera does work, but seems to have an issue in the "S" single frame shooting mode. I can push the shutter button and it releases the shutter and will advance a test roll of film, but it will not fire a subsequent shot with out turning the camera off and then back to on. The camera is usable this way and sort of prevents an accidental shutter release unless the camera is reset with the on-off switch. Kind of like manually cocking the shutter mechanism. I am presuming this is not how it is intended to work :confused:.
The "C" consecutive shooting mode works as expected with no problem and will shoot continuously if the shutter button is held.

Any thoughts what the fix might entail if there is one? It's not a big deal to me as the camera basically does work and I have other MF cameras, but it just sort of bothers me to have it not quite right.

$Pentax-645_web.jpg

Am I to understand that you bought a Pentax 645 with lens and grip for $30 ?

Am I to understand that you bought a Pentax 645 with lens and grip for $30 ?

Yup, the ad was for $60 and believe me I jumped on calling the seller as soon as I saw the ad. You just don't wait and think about it when you see something like this come along. The battery corrosion was a setback, but got the price down to $30. Even if the camera was toast, the lens itself would get my money back easily. I did buy an original manual from KEH ($9.00) and the plastic back so the camera can be operated without film ($9.99), but I'm still way ahead for what these normally go for.

I am jealous.

Well done sir.

Yeah, I guess so. You couldn't buy a decent filter for the lens for $30. I would have jumped on it too. Let me know if you see another deal like that !

Most reactions

New Topics

Back