Pentax announces plan to manufacture film cameras

Interesting but will it be commercially viable?

Hope I'm wrong, but I wouldn't expect anything of much quality from them.
Considering the K1000 and several other models of 35mm format as well as the 645n are still going strong, it isn't like they need to reinvent the wheel.

I know half a dozen people who would almost certainly be interested enough to purchase a new SLR film camera if one was available (that wasn’t Leica money).

Suspect there's a very definite time horizon for the project, as the spokesman says around 5:12min that the first product will be a compact(i.e., P&S?)camera whose success will determine what--if anything--follows. Seems like a niche product trapped in a niche market. The reality check is the rising cost of film and scarcity of quality processing, even in large N. American cities.

Somehow I have misplaced my K1000, I still have a ZX-M that I use occasionally but it just doesn't feel the same as the K1000. I'll admit that after years of shooting film I just can't get excited about film. I much prefer the K3ii and the K1Mii

Somehow I have misplaced my K1000, I still have a ZX-M that I use occasionally but it just doesn't feel the same as the K1000. I'll admit that after years of shooting film I just can't get excited about film. I much prefer the K3ii and the K1Mii
Yup. The Nikon FM3A was a flop that held on 2001-06. The question most asked at Toronto camera store counters then was "Why?" Pretty much DOA when film was cheap and labs still plentiful.

Last edited:
Considering the K1000 and several other models of 35mm format as well as the 645n are still going strong, it isn't like they need to reinvent the wheel.

One major problem, as mentioned in the video, is people.
The people that knew how to design and manufacture the mechanical film cameras are probably of an older generation.
The new guys may have never been training in that stuff and have to learn all that stuff.
Just because they have the blueprints and physical cameras, does not mean they can make it.
Designing a shutter that uses gears for timing rather than an electronic timer. Totally different skillset.
I hope they can get enough knowledge transfer from the old guys, before they pass.

As a guy that still has one foot in the film world, I wish them luck.

Well he did say one thing I 100% agree with and that is “old timers are amazing”. I for one hate digital. The only thing I dislike about film is the cost and lack of options. If Pentax can pull this off and offer a good quality SLR. I’ll be one of the first in line to get one. And hopefully they will stay with the K mount. I can’t see why they wouldn’t so that means lots and lots of good glass for a new camera with warranty and no worries if shutter speeds etc are correct. Definitely rooting for Pentax on this one.

Well he did say one thing I 100% agree with and that is “old timers are amazing”. I for one hate digital. The only thing I dislike about film is the cost and lack of options. If Pentax can pull this off and offer a good quality SLR. I’ll be one of the first in line to get one. And hopefully they will stay with the K mount. I can’t see why they wouldn’t so that means lots and lots of good glass for a new camera with warranty and no worries if shutter speeds etc are correct. Definitely rooting for Pentax on this one.
I was thinking, I already have the MX, KX, LX and Super program, all of which are doing fine now for a number of years and are all outstanding cameras. I'm not really interested in compact film cameras since I already have several of those. What would interest me is a manual SLR with the features I already have in my current ones that would be of similar build quality and.....NEW. Hell, I might even settle for an AF one since my PZ-1P doesn't inspire me much,

The reality check is the rising cost of film and scarcity of quality processing, even in large N. American cities.
Cannot argue with this but as a point of interest to me right now…

I am on my way back to my home country (UK) for Christmas and just noticed a new (to me) film processing firm includes film processing………wait for it……..within the hour(!!) (you can google it - often attached to supermarkets - 350 or so outlets apparently- not sure what the advertising rules are here)

Not only that but my reliable contacts say they do a good job too.

Of course not all outlets provide this but luckily (I’m not staying in any big town/city) one local to me does do the one hour in shop processing and I fully intend to try it out during my stay to see for myself, maybe some of the UK shooters here will correct me ;)

I often get stopped to ask about my film camera here in Asia by people who also shoot film - I also see film cameras everywhere here now.

Certainly there are independent film processing labs popping up all the time and not only that but they seem to be overworked!
Now I develop myself at home not because I cannot find processing centres, which was the reason initially, but because they all take 3+ weeks with massive backlogs.

I’m not saying film is on the brink of a massive comeback, that’s outside reality, but if a healthy group following film can be supported by new equipment from a leading manufacturer then that has to be a good thing.

Jury is out I guess on whether Pentax have made a smart move commercially but they certainly are brave.
I commend them for being a company who‘s passion for their industry comes across more genuine than most - a rare thing these days.

I would much rather buy and support something from a company represented by someone such as as the presenter of the Pentax video - what a thoroughly lovely chap! You can help yourself to my wallet any time!

Certainly there are independent film processing labs popping up all the time and not only that but they seem to be overworked!

Just not seeing that. For all the past breathless(baseless?)reporting on a film revival elsewhere, it didn't spark the reappearance of labs, whether one-hour or pro. To me, that said it all. Surviving labs are busy but mostly for lack of alternatives. There was a flurry of small, often kiosk, operations that cranked out prints from phones but that was quite some time ago. Film that was once--like a decade+ ago--sold widely(gas stations, supermarkets, drug stores)vanished from shelves. I don't see it coming back. No film company is reporting how much they're actually producing--just meaningless % increases in sales. Surprised, too, by the chronic amnesia as to why film photography collapsed.

Very likely that Pentax will debut a compact--ideally a fixed lens (35 or 40/2?)rangefinder with manual controls--think Fuji X-100 series with a film door or updated Canon or Oly late 60s-early 70s rangefinders). It won't be mechanical at its price. The look will be a huge selling point. Pentax film SLRs are a mirage now. The nostalgia thing seems oversold--they really don't need those old sensei aside from ad copy. Hope it results in a halo effect for the whole Ricoh-Pentax line. Anyone's guess is as good as mine.

Last edited:
on my way back to my home country (UK) for Christmas and just noticed a new (to me) film processing firm includes film processing………wait for it……..within the hour(!!) (you can google it - often attached to supermarkets

Ah the nostalgic kiosk one hour photo booth. I remember well how I always waited in anticipation to see I what tint my photos would be. Always popular around Christmas with their red, blue and green hues.😁

As for the film revival I'm just not seeing it. I've seen younger people get excited about it, go buy equipment, shoot a few rolls and gradually return to digital. We've been indoctrinated in a instant gratification world and shooting film requires time, patience and a dedication level that most just don't have.

Now build a camera that can capture a 3d digital image or a digital hologram at a reasonable price, I'd be opening up that wallet.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back